Ford Jubilee Will Not Start

/ Ford Jubilee Will Not Start #1  

IndianaDC

Tractor
Case IH DX40, Hustler SuperZ HD
All I get is one click when I try to start this tractor and that is all. I am really now very little about engins so I have no idea where to start. It does have a new battery, points and plugs. Engine does not even try to turn over just one click when I push the starter button.

Where should I start? With the starter? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Ford Jubilee Will Not Start #2  
Are you sure the battery wasn't accidentally discharged? If you turn on the lights do they appear to be bright?

Check the heavy power cable to the starter through the solenoid and back to the battery. Make sure they are all clean and tight.

Might be a starter solenoid not making good contact, therefore no power to the starter. You can check with a voltmeter or tattle lamp to see if power is passing the solenoid.

And of course it may be the starter itself. When you have someone else turn the key check for power between ground and the hot wire on the starter.

Good luck in your efforts.

/ Ford Jubilee Will Not Start #3  
Been my finding that about 3/4 of all electrical problems on trailers or tractors end up being ground related. I'd start there. Check battery connections and condition of cables. Might not be the problem, but simple enough to check and easy to eliminate.

/ Ford Jubilee Will Not Start
Okay,

I will start with the battery and make sure it is okay and will make sure the connections are clean and tight. And then go from there.

Thanks for your help.

/ Ford Jubilee Will Not Start #5  
Tap on the starter and solenoid to check to see if they are sticky. This assumes you have a good battery, cables and connections.

Other possibility is drive gear is stuck engaged to flywheel.

Put tractor in 4th gear and rock vigorusly back and forth to help unstick.. ( if it is stuck )

Soundguy

/ Ford Jubilee Will Not Start
Well,
I checked and cleaned all the connections and she started up on the first try with no trouble at all. I let it run for a while and I drove it arond the farm and then turned it off. I then tried to start it again and it would not start. I tried it again this morning with no luck. It turns over but it will not start.
Any ideas?

/ Ford Jubilee Will Not Start #7  
If it turns over, pull a spark plug wire and hold it near the block.. turn it over.. look for spark. if none.. start 'following the volts'. Check for power to input of ignition coil.. a vom will help with this. many times ignition switchs go south, so a small jumper wire is helpfull when looking for bad components. many times i jumper right from battery to coil, and then move 1 wire / component back at a time to see where the poblem is. Resistors ( if present) are prime problems as the metal filament inside the ceramic can break.. Swich guts are pretty common to go out... Ancient coils go bad... etc.

Feed thru wire from side of distribuitor to points can break, or short to distribuitor body... etc.

Easy to tell if points are opening and closing by seeing voltage fluctuate at input of coil with a vom... battery votls is points open.. lower is points closed. ( lower will depend on if it is a 6v system.. then lower =0.. or a 12v system with a dropping resistor.. then lower just equals.. well.. lower.. depends ont he coil and resistor used.. still easy way to diagnose.. etc.. )

Email if you need help. I've got a NAA and a 660.. both very similar..( electrical wise.. ). heck.. so is my 8n.. etc..

Soundguy