Do lemon laws apply to construction equipment?

/ Do lemon laws apply to construction equipment? #1  

fuelburner

Tractor
5030 HSTC
We have a mini skid steer that the exhaust manifold keeps cracking. The machine is just one year old and has been in the shop seven times for the same repair. This has been warranty work and the dealer has given us a loaner each time the machine has broken. But the inconvenience is getting old. Do lemon laws apply to construction machinery.

/ Do lemon laws apply to construction equipment? #2  
Sorry to hear your troubles. Must be frustrating.

I did a search on VA lemon law. carlemon quotes the statute as for a motor vehicle. The text below is the definition of a motor vehicle from the site so, unfortunately, you probably can't use the lemon law. Other statutes may apply. But, I wonder if the equipment manufacturer has a zone rep or equivalent to handle these types of problems.

Motor vehicle" means only passenger cars, pickup or panel trucks, motorcycles, self-propelled motorized chassis of motor homes and mopeds as those terms are defined in 46.2-100 and demonstrators or leased vehicles with which a warranty was issued.

/ Do lemon laws apply to construction equipment? #3  
I would try a different approach. It appears you have a supportive dealer which is a good thing. When I had several failures of the computer system in my New Holland TN, the dealer worked with New Holland and had the tractor replaced. Might be worth a try. The warranty restarted when the new machine was delivered. The loan was paid off as if I was still paying on the old machine.

Andy

/ Do lemon laws apply to construction equipment?
Thanks for the information, I think we will try to work on the Bobcat dealer for an exchange they said this last repair was going to take care of the problem. Will let you the outcome.

Update:

Well the dealer is going to drop off a brand new unit on Wednesday with one year warranty at no additional cost to us. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Do lemon laws apply to construction equipment? #5  
Great resolution for your situation!

jb

/ Do lemon laws apply to construction equipment? #6  
Glad to hear it worked out. That was sure quick.

Andy

/ Do lemon laws apply to construction equipment?
The reason it was resolved so quickly was because I found out from the saleman that my son was working a deal on the loaner unit that we have been using while the repairs were being made to our unit. The loaner unit has functioned perfectley and we needed to get a second unit to get another crew going anyway. He negociated the procurment of the second unit contingent on resolving the problem with the first. The saleman said he had already worked out the details for a new replacement unit with Bobcat if the last manifold repair failed.

/ Do lemon laws apply to construction equipment? #8  
SWEET! I love it when a plan comes together /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif