How to replace a starter motor

/ How to replace a starter motor #1  

SuzieB

Help.. I have a Craftsman 21hp LT1000 lawn tractor and the starter motor has broken. I have the replacement part but I can't get the flywheel off to get access to all the bolts on the starter. Please can someone give me a clue as to how best to do this. Thank you.

/ How to replace a starter motor
Help.. I have a Craftsman 21hp LT1000 lawn tractor and the starter motor has broken. I have the replacement part but I can't get the flywheel off to get access to all the bolts on the starter. Please can someone give me a clue as to how best to do this. Thank you.

/ How to replace a starter motor #3  
Welcome to the forum from another newbie. I think you will need a flywheel puller for this project and you should be able to get one at Sears. On your flywheel you should have holes in sets of 3 or 2 and that is where the puller bolt and the center pin goes in the dimple in center of the shaft, I hope I helped you some
Jim /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ How to replace a starter motor #4  
Welcome to the forum from another newbie. I think you will need a flywheel puller for this project and you should be able to get one at Sears. On your flywheel you should have holes in sets of 3 or 2 and that is where the puller bolt and the center pin goes in the dimple in center of the shaft, I hope I helped you some
Jim /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Thank you very much Jim I shall try and buy one tomorrow.

Suzie

Thank you very much Jim I shall try and buy one tomorrow.

Suzie

Hi Jim

Having given the problem a little more thought I have a couple more questions that I'd appreciate your help with. Will the flywheel puller prevent the flywheel from moving whilst I unscrew the nut that holds it in place and do you know if the bolt that the nut screws onto has a left hand or right hand thread? Many thanks.

Suzie

Hi Jim

Having given the problem a little more thought I have a couple more questions that I'd appreciate your help with. Will the flywheel puller prevent the flywheel from moving whilst I unscrew the nut that holds it in place and do you know if the bolt that the nut screws onto has a left hand or right hand thread? Many thanks.

Suzie

/ How to replace a starter motor #9  
Suzie, they do make a special tool for holding the flywheel while loosening the nut and a puller to get it off the crankshaft. But the flywheel can be held by a carefully placed screwdriver to remove the nut. Once you get the nut off, the flywheel can be removed with a small pry bar or screwdriver and a plastic mallet.

/ How to replace a starter motor #10  
Suzie, they do make a special tool for holding the flywheel while loosening the nut and a puller to get it off the crankshaft. But the flywheel can be held by a carefully placed screwdriver to remove the nut. Once you get the nut off, the flywheel can be removed with a small pry bar or screwdriver and a plastic mallet.