Any Good books on general tractor repair?

/ Any Good books on general tractor repair? #1  

chabat124

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ford 4610, IH 300 Utility, '52 Ferguson TO30
I am a 1st time tractor owner: '52 Ferguson TO30...

I am buying those two manuals (Service Manual and Owners Manual)(the reproductions of the original Ferguson Manuals) on tractorpartsinc.com.

But I thought of something else. Is there a good book anyone could recommend on working on old tractors? Not necessarily brand specific but covers a wide range of topics in working on old tractors?

Example:
I found a wonderful book like this about antique outboard motors called "The classic outboard motor handbook" by Peter Hunn. It covered generally how to work on the things, regardless of brand. Great book if you like old outboards!

I found a wonderful book also like this for working on dirt bikes by Eric Gorr (a primere engine rebuilder and tuner in the motocross world).

And finally one put out by Habitat for Humanity called "How to Build a House".

These books are supplements to the "factory manuals" I have for my machines...

These three books are so great because they cover a lot of info not found in regular service manuals and are Chock Full of Color photos. They cover such things as what to look for -- ie. things that commonly go wrong, or extra info on how to fix common problems. They are like "street knowledge" books. Or the everything your manual didn't tell you type books.

Are there any tractor books like this? (*crosses fingers*) /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Any Good books on general tractor repair?
I am a 1st time tractor owner: '52 Ferguson TO30...

I am buying those two manuals (Service Manual and Owners Manual)(the reproductions of the original Ferguson Manuals) on tractorpartsinc.com.

But I thought of something else. Is there a good book anyone could recommend on working on old tractors? Not necessarily brand specific but covers a wide range of topics in working on old tractors?

Example:
I found a wonderful book like this about antique outboard motors called "The classic outboard motor handbook" by Peter Hunn. It covered generally how to work on the things, regardless of brand. Great book if you like old outboards!

I found a wonderful book also like this for working on dirt bikes by Eric Gorr (a primere engine rebuilder and tuner in the motocross world).

And finally one put out by Habitat for Humanity called "How to Build a House".

These books are supplements to the "factory manuals" I have for my machines...

These three books are so great because they cover a lot of info not found in regular service manuals and are Chock Full of Color photos. They cover such things as what to look for -- ie. things that commonly go wrong, or extra info on how to fix common problems. They are like "street knowledge" books. Or the everything your manual didn't tell you type books.

Are there any tractor books like this? (*crosses fingers*) /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Any Good books on general tractor repair? #3  
Watch EBAY for old Massey Ferguson/FERGUSON/Massey Harris shop manuals and dealer related literature. It shows up from time to time. Besides the pair of manuals you mentioned, get the PARTS manual from Massey (AGCO) It will show "exploded views" of major components. More useful than ALL the other manuals combined sometimes.

Get the I&T manual. Use it as a suppliment to the AGCO manual.

Another "good read" is "The Operation, CAre, and Repair of Farm Machinery" published by John Deere up until the late 1950's. (28th edition was last. Covers X20 series 2-cylinder era) It's somewhat John Deere specific, but there is TONS of good general info in them. Lots of practical "old school" methods. They pop up on EBAY or at antique farm equipment shows. Prepare to spend..... (Keep mine right next to the dictionary on my desk!)

You've got an early generation of a series of tractors that are known for their simplicity and reliability. There is tons of info (and aftermarket parts!) for them.

BEst way to learn how to work on one? Get out the wrenches and start turning bolts!

/ Any Good books on general tractor repair? #4  
Watch EBAY for old Massey Ferguson/FERGUSON/Massey Harris shop manuals and dealer related literature. It shows up from time to time. Besides the pair of manuals you mentioned, get the PARTS manual from Massey (AGCO) It will show "exploded views" of major components. More useful than ALL the other manuals combined sometimes.

Get the I&T manual. Use it as a suppliment to the AGCO manual.

Another "good read" is "The Operation, CAre, and Repair of Farm Machinery" published by John Deere up until the late 1950's. (28th edition was last. Covers X20 series 2-cylinder era) It's somewhat John Deere specific, but there is TONS of good general info in them. Lots of practical "old school" methods. They pop up on EBAY or at antique farm equipment shows. Prepare to spend..... (Keep mine right next to the dictionary on my desk!)

You've got an early generation of a series of tractors that are known for their simplicity and reliability. There is tons of info (and aftermarket parts!) for them.

BEst way to learn how to work on one? Get out the wrenches and start turning bolts!

THANKS FWJ!!!

Man, I hit the jackpot. Those other books I mentioned are put out by motorbooks.com. I went to their website and hit "tractors" and lo and behold, 110 books, Exactly what I was looking for! Man. Now I just need to pick one or two.

That site has some good books if you like to wrench.

FWJ, If I don't like the fatory manual I ordered I may get the I&T. Thanks for all the suggestions. Much appreciated /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

THANKS FWJ!!!

Man, I hit the jackpot. Those other books I mentioned are put out by motorbooks.com. I went to their website and hit "tractors" and lo and behold, 110 books, Exactly what I was looking for! Man. Now I just need to pick one or two.

That site has some good books if you like to wrench.

FWJ, If I don't like the fatory manual I ordered I may get the I&T. Thanks for all the suggestions. Much appreciated /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif