Relieve hyd pressure?

/ Relieve hyd pressure? #1  

bones1

Platinum Member
St.Marys County. Maryland/Tall Timbers Md.
Tractor
Farmtrac 300 dtc
Needing to change a boom cylinder and a decal next to it says warning relieve hyd pressure first. Whats the best way to change a loader cylinder?
Thanks for any help. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Relieve hyd pressure?
Needing to change a boom cylinder and a decal next to it says warning relieve hyd pressure first. Whats the best way to change a loader cylinder?
Thanks for any help. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Relieve hyd pressure? #3  
Is it a backhoe boom, or a loader? Not that it matters a lot, but it is a tad confusing.

First, make sure it is sitting on the ground. No pressure due to gravity. If it is a backhoe boom, support the boom on blocks or hold it up with a cherry picker or equivalent. Then with the engine off, cycle the controls several times to release any hydraulic pressure. Then slowly loosen the hose connections. You can put an old towel over it if you are concerned about it squirting, and you will need a bucket under it to catch the drippings. Unhook the hoses, put caps into the cylinder holes and onto the hoses to keep dirt out. Take out the pins and remove the cylinder.

Set up the new cylinder to the length of the old one, so it will fit. It will be hard to move and you may have to use a come along or ratchet strap to pull it out. I use a engine hoist (cherry picker). Put the cylinder in place and insert the top pin (so it will hang down on it's own). Move the boom or loader to get the bottom pin to align with a hoist, floor jack, etc. DON'T use your finger to feel it, many people can only count to 9 due to that!!! If you can't move the loader / boom, hook up the hoses and use the hydraulics to extend/retract the cylinder to fit. You may have to extend and hold the control then retract and hold the control to purge out the air. Air in a dry cylinder makes them "jumpy" and hard to move small amounts.

What went wrong with the old cylinder? Bent? Leaking? or??

jb

/ Relieve hyd pressure? #4  
Is it a backhoe boom, or a loader? Not that it matters a lot, but it is a tad confusing.

First, make sure it is sitting on the ground. No pressure due to gravity. If it is a backhoe boom, support the boom on blocks or hold it up with a cherry picker or equivalent. Then with the engine off, cycle the controls several times to release any hydraulic pressure. Then slowly loosen the hose connections. You can put an old towel over it if you are concerned about it squirting, and you will need a bucket under it to catch the drippings. Unhook the hoses, put caps into the cylinder holes and onto the hoses to keep dirt out. Take out the pins and remove the cylinder.

Set up the new cylinder to the length of the old one, so it will fit. It will be hard to move and you may have to use a come along or ratchet strap to pull it out. I use a engine hoist (cherry picker). Put the cylinder in place and insert the top pin (so it will hang down on it's own). Move the boom or loader to get the bottom pin to align with a hoist, floor jack, etc. DON'T use your finger to feel it, many people can only count to 9 due to that!!! If you can't move the loader / boom, hook up the hoses and use the hydraulics to extend/retract the cylinder to fit. You may have to extend and hold the control then retract and hold the control to purge out the air. Air in a dry cylinder makes them "jumpy" and hard to move small amounts.

What went wrong with the old cylinder? Bent? Leaking? or??

jb

/ Relieve hyd pressure?
Hi John.This a new tractor. The lift cylinder, not the bucket cyl on the FEL has a small leak dribbling all over the tire.It is a Farmtrac 300 DTC and under warranty i'm told. I haven't called the dealer yet but since he is 120 miles away maybe he will just ship replacement cylinder.I would rather do this than trailer it to Richmond. Just wondering how hard these are to change.Do dealers ship warranty parts like this? I have no experience with tractor dealers.
Thanks again.

/ Relieve hyd pressure?
Hi John.This a new tractor. The lift cylinder, not the bucket cyl on the FEL has a small leak dribbling all over the tire.It is a Farmtrac 300 DTC and under warranty i'm told. I haven't called the dealer yet but since he is 120 miles away maybe he will just ship replacement cylinder.I would rather do this than trailer it to Richmond. Just wondering how hard these are to change.Do dealers ship warranty parts like this? I have no experience with tractor dealers.
Thanks again.

/ Relieve hyd pressure? #7  
I have the presure valve on my new (used) top plate cut off with the screw part still inside. I need to pull it out. Any ideas? I don't have any rethreading material

/ Relieve hyd pressure? #8  
I have the presure valve on my new (used) top plate cut off with the screw part still inside. I need to pull it out. Any ideas? I don't have any rethreading material

/ Relieve hyd pressure? #9  
Are you talking about merely removing a screw, or something much more sinister? Sounds like a job for a hammer and punch, or cut a slot in the screw and screw it out, or drill and insert an EZ-out.

/ Relieve hyd pressure? #10  
Are you talking about merely removing a screw, or something much more sinister? Sounds like a job for a hammer and punch, or cut a slot in the screw and screw it out, or drill and insert an EZ-out.