Bogging down

/ Bogging down #1  

ford351c

I am new to Diesel motors and need help with a problem. I have a Ford 1210, 4x4, hydrostatic with a 60" belly mower. (I think the 60" is a little much for my tractor) At times the RPM's will start to drop and I have to slow down when mowing. Sometimes I have to stop completly and the RPM's will still stay down around 1000 even with the clutch pushed in. Then after a short period of time (anywhere from 30 sec to 1.5 minutes) the PRM's will start to increase. Right back up to were they should be. Then it will run fine for 5 - 10 minutes and it happens again. It only seems to start happening after 30-45 minutes of mowing. (of which it works fine the entire time) If it starts happening, I can park the tractor and let it cool down. Then it will be fine until after 30-45 minutes. It seems to start when the engine is at operating temperature and I make a turn. HELP........................ /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Bogging down #2  
Sounds like a fuel delivery problem to me.

(If there was lots of black smoke.. I'd look at air. )

Soundguy

/ Bogging down
No smoke, I have drained and replaced the fuel

/ Bogging down #4  
I have the same symptoms with a Kubota BX1500. I KNOW it is a fuel problem. It has been sensitive to fuel since it was new, altho its L2550 big brother drinks anythng with macho qusto. I think it has to do with water in a filter. I scrupulously treat the BX fuel but still have trouble ocassionaly. I posit the following:
1. Even emulsified water in treated fuel can be caught in a filter.
2. As the filter wets it resists fuel passage.
3. At high power/fuel demand the pleating of the filter sucks shut decreasing filter area.
4. Engine bogs, fuel demand decreases with rpm and when load is removed fast idle is regained, but no power.
5. Shutdown allows filter to expand to original shape and some water migrates out alleviating the problem until the whole thing starts over.

Try this next time. Drain and treat your fuel with a good diesel supplement. Shake it repeatedly. Take a small amount and add about 1/3 of as pure alcohol as you can get. Everclear maybe (95% pure ethyl). Run tractor at idle on this mix. Turn off every couple minutes and let the stuff sit in the filter for a few minutes. Runstopwait, repeat. Continue shaking treated fuel. Finally add your treated fuel and go work.

I want a filter like the L2550 uses. Anybody know the particulars of this issue? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
Larry

/ Bogging down #5  
Is your muffler good? Here is the reason I ask. I have a 1984 JD 950. I knew the muffler was bad since I could hear it rattling inside and there were some pin hole leaks in parts of it. But at about $140, I figured I could live with it. But after a low branch broke off the extension, I replaced it. With the old muffler, tall and/or thick grass would cause mine to bog down running my 6' rotary cutter. On really hot days, if I was loading it pretty good, my temp light would come on and I had to unload it and let it run a minute or two to cool down. With the new muffler on, I noticed an immediate increase in power. Where I had previously bogged down, now it runs right thru it. And I have not had the temp light come on again. Apparently the muffler was not allowing the engine to breathe properly. Just a thought.

/ Bogging down #6  
I had my own semi for quite a while, and water in the fuel would do exactly what you describe.
Change filter, boom. Problem gone.

/ Bogging down #7  
Look at the fuel line going from the tank to the pump. If it is rubber feel it and see if it is getting soft. I've had soft fuel lines colapse after they get warm .