Restart diesel after running out of fuel

/ Restart diesel after running out of fuel #1  

Darrin Brown

I ran a diesel bobcat S205 skid steer out of fuel. Now I cannot get it restarted. Any help on how to get it started again?

/ Restart diesel after running out of fuel #2  
You probably have to bleed the air out of the fuel system, check the manual for the procedure.

Mike

/ Restart diesel after running out of fuel #3  
If you don't have a manual then fill your filter or filters full of fuel then either open a bleeder screw at the injection pump if it has one or crack/loosen a few injector lines at the injectors then crank it over till you see fuel coming out of the loose fittings then close them off.
She should fire up once all the air is bled from the lines.

/ Restart diesel after running out of fuel #4  
Darrin Brown said:
I ran a diesel bobcat S205 skid steer out of fuel. Now I cannot get it restarted. Any help on how to get it started again?

As mentioned, the manual will have specific instructions on that engine. In general, here's how I'd suggest doing it.

Start with the filter(s). Fill them COMPLETELY with fuel. (Some filter assemblies have a sight glass. That helps) Go next to the PRIMARY FUEL PUMP (A.K.A. "lift pump") It will have a manual priming "arm" or lever. Break loose the fitting where the fuel leaves that pump. Stroke the manual lever a few times if needed, to get fuel flow from that loosened fitting. Re-tighten fitting when complete. (ALL the primary pumps I'm familiar with are driven off the camshaft. It may be resting on "high cam". If so, the engine will need to be bumped over slightly until the pump is at low cam, and will pump with the lever) Now find the bleed screws on the injector pump. (Some have a "lower" bleed screw and an "upper chamber bleed screw" Start with the lower one. Get a good flow of fuel through it. (May need to manually pump that lift pump again) When you have good flow there, close lower and start bleeding "upper bleed screw" until you have good flow there. Next, crack loose an injector line. (I USUALLY do the line where it leaves the injector pump, but sometimes it requires bleeding right at the injector. Crank over the engine (with starter) until you get fuel at the injector. Sometimes an engine will go ahead and start with one or 2 injectors getting fuel. Sometimes it requires ALL injectors to be bled. Once you have fuel to the injectors, start cranking the starter until she fires. If it doesn't start soon, go back through the entire proceedure again. Some diesels won't hit a lick until ALL the air is out.

When a diesel is ran out of fuel, that is a golden opportunity to clean everything (tank, screens, ect) and change filters. Start off clean.

This is, as I mentioned, sort of a "generic" fuel system bleeding proceedure. Specific engine manufacturer instructions may be different. I'd suggest following them closely.

All it takes is running a diesel out of fuel ONE TIME, and most people will see that it never happens again. (and if you ever do it to an OLD diesel that's already hard to start, it'll make you go buy a new tractor......)

/ Restart diesel after running out of fuel #5  
I'd like to add that the user needs to be VERY carefull about cracking lines. pressurized diesel injected under the skin is a trip to the ER, plus lots of time in therapy to try and save the limb that may get gangreen afterwards..

Same goes for hyd oil.. etc.

Soundguy

/ Restart diesel after running out of fuel #6  
No need to bleed the injectors. The pump will bleed them, and who cares whether the air goes out into the atmosphere or through the injectors and out the exhaust.

/ Restart diesel after running out of fuel #7  
Soundguy said:
I'd like to add that the user needs to be VERY carefull about cracking lines. pressurized diesel injected under the skin is a trip to the ER, plus lots of time in therapy to try and save the limb that may get gangreen afterwards..

Same goes for hyd oil.. etc.

Soundguy

Good advise. Had my leg about 8" from a hyd line running a motor when the hose let go. Cut through denim and drew blood, no fun at all. Wrapped the ones that were close enough to cause injury with split smurf pipe from then on.

/ Restart diesel after running out of fuel #8  
Farmwithjunk said:
When a diesel is ran out of fuel, that is a golden opportunity to clean everything (tank, screens, ect) and change filters. Start off clean.

How do you clean the tank? What is the procedure?
Bob

/ Restart diesel after running out of fuel #9  
Remove, flush, and re-install if clean. If rust or dirt, I've put a piece of chain inside the tank, capped it and shook the daylights out of it. That'll knock all the scale off (usually), then coat with red-guard or simular fuel tank sealer.

Steam or pressure washing works to an extent.

With all the "new age" plastic gas fuel tanks, a lot of that is now old school stuff. Just wash and re-install.

If you're an engine of any description, dirt is your enemy.

/ Restart diesel after running out of fuel #10  
Farmwithjunk said:
Steam or pressure washing works to an extent.

With all the "new age" plastic gas fuel tanks, a lot of that is now old school stuff. Just wash and re-install.

If you're an engine of any description, dirt is your enemy.

So just water to clean the plastic tank?
Bob