PAINT QUESTION

/ PAINT QUESTION #1  

deerhunterf350

Gold Member
Tractor
New Holland TC55DA
We have a local Family operated chain of Farm Stores called Buchiets. They carry a line of Farm and Implement paint , VAN SICKLE super premium enamel with rust arrestor, it is mfg in Lincoln Nebraska.

Anyone use it, does it hold up?

It is $19.99 a gallon, $3.29 per spray bomb.

I bought a spray can , tested it on a piece of scrap metal, the color matched perfectly.

/ PAINT QUESTION #2  
deerhunterf350 said:
We have a local Family operated chain of Farm Stores called Buchiets. They carry a line of Farm and Implement paint , VAN SICKLE super premium enamel with rust arrestor, it is mfg in Lincoln Nebraska.

Anyone use it, does it hold up?

It is $19.99 a gallon, $3.29 per spray bomb.

I bought a spray can , tested it on a piece of scrap metal, the color matched perfectly.

VERY good paint. I've used it on several occasions. In spray bombs, it flows well, and lays down (no orange peel) like good paint should. In cans, it handles like most any good machinery enamel.

Good as the best and better than most.

The only complaint I've had is with spray cans. It doesn't dry as fast as some sprays. It seems to dry especially slow in cool weather. When using a gun or a brush, I can control dry time with the reducer (thinner) I use or the volume of hardener.

I've used enough of both the TSC "house brand" and the Van Sickle brand. I favor the Van Sickle, but only slightly.

As far as color match, that depends on the color used. With John Deere yellow, the Van Sickle yellow has a slightly "gold" cast to it as compared to the TSC paint, which is a tad darker than original Deere yellow.

/ PAINT QUESTION
Thanks, I was hoping for good remarks, can't beat the price.

New Holland Blue , matches perfectly.

/ PAINT QUESTION #4  
"The only complaint I've had is with spray cans. It doesn't dry as fast as some sprays. It seems to dry especially slow in cool weather."

I usually consider slow drying rattle cans to be a good thing , especially when trying to spray a large horizontal area such as a hood, with metallic paint. Since you have to hold the can almost vertical to work, the paint can partially dry before it hits the surface, causing streaks and dullness.

/ PAINT QUESTION #5  
normde2001 said:
"The only complaint I've had is with spray cans. It doesn't dry as fast as some sprays. It seems to dry especially slow in cool weather."

I usually consider slow drying rattle cans to be a good thing , especially when trying to spray a large horizontal area such as a hood, with metallic paint. Since you have to hold the can almost vertical to work, the paint can partially dry before it hits the surface, causing streaks and dullness.

I'm not talking about slow drying as in a few hours, I was talking about SEVERAL DAYS to cure enough to touch.

/ PAINT QUESTION #6  
Farmwithjunk said:
I'm not talking about slow drying as in a few hours, I was talking about SEVERAL DAYS to cure enough to touch.

That is oil based paint for ya. The Rustoleum is slow too, but faster than that, but once it cures it is tough stuff. I like to paint my implements and such in the fall, and by spring they are cured out tough. It seems to take about 3 months for the oil based paints to cure out nice and tough.

/ PAINT QUESTION #7  
slowrev said:
That is oil based paint for ya. The Rustoleum is slow too, but faster than that, but once it cures it is tough stuff. I like to paint my implements and such in the fall, and by spring they are cured out tough. It seems to take about 3 months for the oil based paints to cure out nice and tough.

So true. I much prefer shooting paint with a gun over spray bombs. I can regulate drying time with certain reducers and hardener. Lucky for me, I have a bro-in-law that owns a body shop. I get to use his paint booth and fresh air supply system when it comes time to use hardener. I made the (almost fatal) mistake ONE TIME of using hardener without proper air supply, and developed symtoms of asthma. Don't doubt those warnings on the label for one split second. That stuff is BAD NEWS.

/ PAINT QUESTION #8  
Farmwithjunk said:
So true. I much prefer shooting paint with a gun over spray bombs. I can regulate drying time with certain reducers and hardener. Lucky for me, I have a bro-in-law that owns a body shop. I get to use his paint booth and fresh air supply system when it comes time to use hardener. I made the (almost fatal) mistake ONE TIME of using hardener without proper air supply, and developed symtoms of asthma. Don't doubt those warnings on the label for one split second. That stuff is BAD NEWS.

You lucky duck ! A paint booth !
I just open both end doors on my shop when painting, and wear a good respirator of course. I shoot the Oil based rustoleum (thinned a bit) with an el cheapo HVLP gun. Works pretty good.
Kinda hard to keep bugs out of the paint though :(

/ PAINT QUESTION #9  
I prepare everything the night before and paint right after daylight before the bugs wake up!

Eugene