Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Gold Member
    Tractor
    New Holland TC55DA

Default PAINT QUESTION

We have a local Family operated chain of Farm Stores called Buchiets. They carry a line of Farm and Implement paint , VAN SICKLE super premium enamel with rust arrestor, it is mfg in Lincoln Nebraska.

Anyone use it, does it hold up?

It is $19.99 a gallon, $3.29 per spray bomb.

I bought a spray can , tested it on a piece of scrap metal, the color matched perfectly.

Tractor
    Where do I begin.....

Default Re: PAINT QUESTION

Quote Originally Posted by deerhunterf350
    We have a local Family operated chain of Farm Stores called Buchiets. They carry a line of Farm and Implement paint , VAN SICKLE super premium enamel with rust arrestor, it is mfg in Lincoln Nebraska.

Anyone use it, does it hold up?

It is $19.99 a gallon, $3.29 per spray bomb.

I bought a spray can , tested it on a piece of scrap metal, the color matched perfectly.
    VERY good paint. I've used it on several occasions. In spray bombs, it flows well, and lays down (no orange peel) like good paint should. In cans, it handles like most any good machinery enamel.

Good as the best and better than most.

The only complaint I've had is with spray cans. It doesn't dry as fast as some sprays. It seems to dry especially slow in cool weather. When using a gun or a brush, I can control dry time with the reducer (thinner) I use or the volume of hardener.

I've used enough of both the TSC "house brand" and the Van Sickle brand. I favor the Van Sickle, but only slightly.

As far as color match, that depends on the color used. With John deere yellow, the Van Sickle yellow has a slightly "gold" cast to it as compared to the TSC paint, which is a tad darker than original Deere yellow.
    There are three kinds of men;
    1.) The ones that learn by reading
    2.) The few who learn by observation
    3.) The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    New Holland TC55DA

Thanks, I was hoping for good remarks, can't beat the price.

New Holland Blue , matches perfectly.

Elite Member

"The only complaint I've had is with spray cans. It doesn't dry as fast as some sprays. It seems to dry especially slow in cool weather."

I usually consider slow drying rattle cans to be a good thing , especially when trying to spray a large horizontal area such as a hood, with metallic paint. Since you have to hold the can almost vertical to work, the paint can partially dry before it hits the surface, causing streaks and dullness.

Tractor
    Where do I begin.....

Quote Originally Posted by normde2001
    "The only complaint I've had is with spray cans. It doesn't dry as fast as some sprays. It seems to dry especially slow in cool weather."

I usually consider slow drying rattle cans to be a good thing , especially when trying to spray a large horizontal area such as a hood, with metallic paint. Since you have to hold the can almost vertical to work, the paint can partially dry before it hits the surface, causing streaks and dullness.
    I'm not talking about slow drying as in a few hours, I was talking about SEVERAL DAYS to cure enough to touch.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    IH 2444

Quote Originally Posted by Farmwithjunk
    I'm not talking about slow drying as in a few hours, I was talking about SEVERAL DAYS to cure enough to touch.
    That is oil based paint for ya. The Rustoleum is slow too, but faster than that, but once it cures it is tough stuff. I like to paint my implements and such in the fall, and by spring they are cured out tough. It seems to take about 3 months for the oil based paints to cure out nice and tough.

Tractor
    Where do I begin.....

Quote Originally Posted by slowrev
    That is oil based paint for ya. The Rustoleum is slow too, but faster than that, but once it cures it is tough stuff. I like to paint my implements and such in the fall, and by spring they are cured out tough. It seems to take about 3 months for the oil based paints to cure out nice and tough.
    So true. I much prefer shooting paint with a gun over spray bombs. I can regulate drying time with certain reducers and hardener. Lucky for me, I have a bro-in-law that owns a body shop. I get to use his paint booth and fresh air supply system when it comes time to use hardener. I made the (almost fatal) mistake ONE TIME of using hardener without proper air supply, and developed symtoms of asthma. Don't doubt those warnings on the label for one split second. That stuff is BAD NEWS.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    IH 2444

Quote Originally Posted by Farmwithjunk
    So true. I much prefer shooting paint with a gun over spray bombs. I can regulate drying time with certain reducers and hardener. Lucky for me, I have a bro-in-law that owns a body shop. I get to use his paint booth and fresh air supply system when it comes time to use hardener. I made the (almost fatal) mistake ONE TIME of using hardener without proper air supply, and developed symtoms of asthma. Don't doubt those warnings on the label for one split second. That stuff is BAD NEWS.
    You lucky duck ! A paint booth !
    I just open both end doors on my shop when painting, and wear a good respirator of course. I shoot the Oil based rustoleum (thinned a bit) with an el cheapo HVLP gun. Works pretty good.
    Kinda hard to keep bugs out of the paint though

Tractor
    Hinomoto E2804, Hinomoto N239,

I prepare everything the night before and paint right after daylight before the bugs wake up!

Eugene

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Yanmar 1401

I was surfing along and came on this link http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/...=0#Post2331682
    Seems like it would be a cheap way to paint a tractor or old pickup. And you don't have to worry about having a paint booth.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast