Block heater question

/ Block heater question #1  

Iplayfarmer

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1215, Case 801B
I know that it's a little early to be talking about block heaters, etc. but I've got my starter out to be re-built and that leaves space to do some of the other stuff I want to do.

I picked up a radiator hose type of block heater for cheap at a yard sale. It was new in the original packaging. It was worth the price just for the two clamps that were in it.

Here's the deal though... The heater "Pipes" are exactly 1" in outer diameter but my radiator "Pipes" are 1 1/8" diameter (O.D.). I'm pretty sure that I can get a seal with the hose clamps, but what I wonder is if the 1/8" decrease in bore will reduce the practical effectiveness of the cooling system.

/ Block heater question #2  
Did you mean the lower radiator hose is 1 1/8" I.D.? If it's O.D. the I.D. of the hose would only be about 5/8" - 3/4" and won't fit over the heater diameter of 1". If the hose is 1 1/8" I.D. it will probably work with your heater and not restrict the flow too much. The flow of water / antifreeze is fairly slow in a low RPM engine. If you're leary about doing it, get the right in-line hose heater at your local auto parts store. They are usually about $30.

/ Block heater question
The lower radiator hose FITTING (the metal tube that comes out of the radiator) is 1 1/8" OD. That means that the hose is slightly less that 1 1/8" ID.

It's a moot point now, though. I decided to play it safe, and I got a frost plug heater. I figure this will work better anyway. It's worth the $22 for the peace of mind if nothing else.

So...Anyone need a 1" diameter radiator hose heater? :rolleyes:

/ Block heater question #4  
After reading your other post about the leaking plug heater I bet you wished that you had installed the hose heater now. It would have been just fine.

Ooooh, That was bad!

/ Block heater question #5  
This is the very thing that has kept me from installing the block heater that I bought two years ago. I just know it's gonna leak. Mine is just a steel sleeve that you drive into the freeze plug hole--no o-ring, no gasket, no nothing.

/ Block heater question #6  
cp1969 said:
This is the very thing that has kept me from installing the block heater that I bought two years ago. I just know it's gonna leak. Mine is just a steel sleeve that you drive into the freeze plug hole--no o-ring, no gasket, no nothing.

I think I will just get a trouble light, put it in the engine compartment, cover it with a reflective blanket and turn on the trouble light. Hopefully it will heat the engine enough to get the job done.
Bob

/ Block heater question #7  
My block heater is working very well now... called August.

mark

/ Block heater question #8  
Doc_Bob said:
I think I will just get a trouble light, put it in the engine compartment, cover it with a reflective blanket and turn on the trouble light. Hopefully it will heat the engine enough to get the job done.
Bob
Im getting a magnetic one for mine this winter. Also going to wrap the battery with a battery blanket so it stays at MAX output.

( All that means is it probably wont go below 45 degrees here this winter...LMAO)

/ Block heater question #9  
Sully2 said:
Im getting a magnetic one for mine this winter. Also going to wrap the battery with a battery blanket so it stays at MAX output.

( All that means is it probably wont go below 45 degrees here this winter...LMAO)

A magnetic trouble light??? Tell me more! I like the idea of a battery blanket.
Bob

/ Block heater question #10  
cp1969 said:

I was wrong again. It didn't leak.

The urge to install it became irresistable, probably mostly because the thought of the money spent on the block heater, and not being installed, it was useless.

The only problem I encountered was that draining, via the lower radiator hose, does not drain the block, at least on an L3000. When I knocked the freeze plug loose, a gusher of antifreeze went all over the shop floor. But that is par for the course. I cannot mess with antifreeze without making a colossal mess--it happens every time.

The other thing that concerned me was how tight the block heater fit in the freeze plug hole. It was tighter than Otis on Wednesday night.

Although I have yet to encounter a situation where I needed the tractor and temperatures were low enough to require the block heater, I suppose it's nice to have the option now. Thank God for global warming, except it's going to put the block heater and insulated coveralls people out of business. Time to sell short, make a killing, and live like Kings ( or at least college football coaches) while we ride this warming rock into oblivion.

Bring back global cooling. I liked their paranoia better.