kill switch stuck

/ kill switch stuck #1  

bloody_peasant

Silver Member
Tractor
MF 1010
The kill switch on my MF 1010 is stuck. Its a pull type with a cable kinda like a bicycle cable. I don't want to pull too hard as I feel like I'm going to break the plastic handle. I have to get off the tractor and push the throttle manually to kill it.

Do I have to replace it or is there a way to free it?

/ kill switch stuck #2  
bloody_peasant said:
The kill switch on my MF 1010 is stuck. Its a pull type with a cable kinda like a bicycle cable. I don't want to pull too hard as I feel like I'm going to break the plastic handle. I have to get off the tractor and push the throttle manually to kill it.

Do I have to replace it or is there a way to free it?

Hey Bloody Peasant,
OK, I had the same problem on my MF-1040. You need to remove the entire cable and soak the whole thing in solvent for a day or two. Then just keep tryin to work the center internal cable back and forth. What happens is that it rusts to the outside sheathing. When you get it workin half way decent put some light oil in it from both ends.

/ kill switch stuck
scott_vt said:
Hey Bloody Peasant,
OK, I had the same problem on my MF-1040. You need to remove the entire cable and soak the whole thing in solvent for a day or two. Then just keep tryin to work the center internal cable back and forth. What happens is that it rusts to the outside sheathing. When you get it workin half way decent put some light oil in it from both ends.

Thanks scott!! I tried spraying some WD-40 on it a while back and that loosened it up some, but i'll go the whole route and take it off and soak it. I was looking and new ones are under $10, but if I can fix it, that's few dollars saved :D

/ kill switch stuck #4  
WD wont help for long. It will dry right out. PB-Blaster to break it free then oil will do you much better.

/ kill switch stuck #5  
Ya beat me to it. Yep.. PB blaster to penetrate.. then light oil.. way to go.

Course.. for the price of those.. if ya don't own them .. then you are halfway to a new cable!!

Soundguy

/ kill switch stuck #6  
WD-40 was designed to displace water (water displacer # 40)

The fact that it frees things up and TEMPORARILY lubricates them is a bonus.

Soaking in solvent and flexing the cable every once in a while to help break it free is a good approach. Once it starts to free up do whatever you can to force a lubricant into it. Soaking in a mixture of solvent and oil after it is freed up can get oil in where oil alone is hard to do. The solvent will evaporate harmlessly leaving the oil behind.

I have used WD-40 and silicone lube mixture to soak cables before. The WD evaporates fairly soon after you remove the cable from the solution but the silicone left behind lubes the cable pretty good.

WD-40 makes a better catfish bait enhancer than it does a lubricant.

Pat