Throttle cable nut adjustment

/ Throttle cable nut adjustment #1  

Doc_Bob

Elite Member
Tractor
2003 NH TN70A
The two nuts on my throttle cable shook loose.

DSC00996.JPG

How do I adjust them? What I did was move the throttle all the way to full throttle (engine off, peddle "floored") then back it off just a hair so that the throttle would not be "maxed" out, then tightened the two nuts.

DSC01001.JPG

Is this the right approach? Is there a better way?
Bob

/ Throttle cable nut adjustment #2  
Yikes... thats the connection at the injector pump.. right? I'd get a 2nd opinion on that from a diesel mechanic ( not me ). Got to be carefull with the injector pump. I'm surprised there was no locking nut.. or pal nuts...

Soundguy

Doc_Bob said:
The two nuts on my throttle cable shook loose.

How do I adjust them? What I did was move the throttle all the way to full throttle (engine off, peddle "floored") then back it off just a hair so that the throttle would not be "maxed" out, then tightened the two nuts.

Is this the right approach? Is there a better way?
Bob

/ Throttle cable nut adjustment
Soundguy said:
Yikes... thats the connection at the injector pump.. right? I'd get a 2nd opinion on that from a diesel mechanic ( not me ). Got to be carefull with the injector pump. I'm surprised there was no locking nut.. or pal nuts...

Soundguy

Okay, now you have scared the you know what out of me. What can go wrong? What damage have I done?
Bob

/ Throttle cable nut adjustment #4  
I don't think you've done any damage. I just think you should get some advice on how to re-set the connection ( if it even needs any special attention ). Remember.. on a gas car/tractor.. your throttle lever controls a governor which controlls a butterfly, and thus fuel/air. On a diesel, your hand/foot throttle is controlling fuel delivery level.. ( I'm not explaining this well.. but I'm not a mechanic either. hopefully a real one will be along in a few minutes.

Soundguy

Soundguy said:
I don't think you've done any damage. I just think you should get some advice on how to re-set the connection ( if it even needs any special attention ). Remember.. on a gas car/tractor.. your throttle lever controls a governor which controlls a butterfly, and thus fuel/air. On a diesel, your hand/foot throttle is controlling fuel delivery level.. ( I'm not explaining this well.. but I'm not a mechanic either. hopefully a real one will be along in a few minutes.

Soundguy

Whew! I do not want to break it. What I did was use both the hand throttle and foot throttle to see what the maximum travel was for the cable. Then I set the cable so that the maximum throttle was just slightly less than what the maximum is. That way, I never hit the "maximum stop". The way I have it setup, it the governor has another 1/16 of an inch to go. I never use the last 1/16th inch. All of this is just an educated guess. I have never done this before. But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express!

Thanks for your comments. Hope a diesel expert shows up soon :D .
Bob

/ Throttle cable nut adjustment #6  
I'm sorry i alarmed you. I know you've been thru an ordeal with this tractor and was just palying it safe on the injection pump. I'm still learning myself onthe diesel what you can tweak.. and what you can't ( voiding warranty issues.. etc.. likew turning up fuel.. etc.. ). Most of my experience is on old gassers.... though I'm geting to know a few 'classic' diesels well..

Glad it turned out to be a non issue.

Soundguy

/ Throttle cable nut adjustment #8  
Speaking of ejection seat.. when i was in high school electronics..the teach.. me and one other guy in there were the only senient beings.. the rest were knuckle draggers.. and they gave us a pretty hard time for being able to do the advanced stuff.. like write our names.. and such.

I remember when we covered 'induction' .. Me and the other guy wired up a coil/bat/switch to a chair in the back and ran the wire along a baseboard.. used a foot switch to hold the circuit closed, and when we lifted out foot.. the circuit opened.. thus letting the field inthe coil collapse and kick some KV.. just like a points set in a car. The seats were all plastic/melanine in our school.. but they had metal rivits holding the plastic to the metal frame. All we had to was cut some rubber pads to offset the chair about 1/4 inch and insulate the legs...

I think we did call it the ejection seat... Let me tell you.. a knuckledragger can stand up fast!

the teach wasn't 'publically' amused... After class we got a stern 'don't do that again' kind of warning.. I think we then got extra credit ont he induction 'project'... nowadays.. they'd probably expell a kid for that...

Soundguy

/ Throttle cable nut adjustment #9  
You need a maintenance manual or CD to know for sure. However, I would have been inclined to set the throttle linkage at the idle end of the rpm scale. Set the position for the right idle speed (probably about 1,000 rpm) and then lock those nuts on each side. I'd think that there's a governor to ensure it doesn't overspeed.

Ralph

Soundguy said:
I'm sorry i alarmed you. I know you've been thru an ordeal with this tractor and was just palying it safe on the injection pump. I'm still learning myself onthe diesel what you can tweak.. and what you can't ( voiding warranty issues.. etc.. likew turning up fuel.. etc.. ). Most of my experience is on old gassers.... though I'm geting to know a few 'classic' diesels well..

Don't worry. I am fine. I thank you for your help and comments.
Bob