Weekend Repairs/check - Transmission Site glass repair

/ Weekend Repairs/check - Transmission Site glass repair #1  

RobJ

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L2500
Here is another little thing I did this weekend. The site glass on the side of the transmission has never really been easy to see. After I bought the tractor I drained the oil and just put back in the spec amount. In hindsight I overfilled the case by about 1 gallon. While heading up to the weekend place I called ahead to a Kubota dealer in Huntsville that was on the way. They had 2 new site glasses in stock. Cost about $8.00 with tax. The plastic piece just pops right out. Has sort of a rubber gasket around the edge. Kubota had secured it with some white caulk looking stuff, I used some black silicon. Once I got it off and could look at it closely I thought I could polish it a bit. I took some 600g sand paper and it made it about 10 times better. But I had the new one and put it in. When I refilled the case I like to keep a little bubble in the glass so I can tell exactly how much is in there. Now when I walk up I can spot the oil without any problem.

I tossed in the last pic of how I keep an eye shot of when I changed the oil last. Sharpies are a good thing!

Rob

Attachments

• site1.JPG
    site1.JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 168
  • site2.JPG
    site2.JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 170
  • site3.JPG
    site3.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 159
  • site4.JPG
    site4.JPG
    69.7 KB · Views: 178
  • oilfilter.JPG
    oilfilter.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 177
   / Weekend Repairs/check - Transmission Site glass repair #2  
I had always written the mileage and date on my oil filters too until the stupid Wix people decided to paint their filters black! Now I write the numbers right on the garage wall.

Is your hydro fluid picking up some water?

/ Weekend Repairs/check - Transmission Site glass repair #3  
FYI, you can get a Sharpie at one of the large office supply stores that writes in silver. I use them all the time on dark colored objects and they last a long time. The only ones that I've had to write over are area subject to alot of abrasion, but then the original color wears off also. I'm sure it will last as long as the time between oil changes.

/ Weekend Repairs/check - Transmission Site glass repair
I guess Sharpie is getting big, I think I heard of a NASCAR race of golf tourney that they are the sponsor for. I use a sharpie for tons of stuff.

/ Weekend Repairs/check - Transmission Site glass repair #5  
Why is the fluid so cloudy? Air? water?
Bob

/ Weekend Repairs/check - Transmission Site glass repair
Doc_Bob said:
Why is the fluid so cloudy? Air? water?
Bob

I guess that's the way it is. The stuff I took out and the stuff I put in looks the same. It's Kubota UDT...not the super stuff for down here.

Maybe somebody can second that, this is the only UDT stuff I've seen. My L has never been swimming. :)

/ Weekend Repairs/check - Transmission Site glass repair #7  
RobJ said:
I guess that's the way it is. The stuff I took out and the stuff I put in looks the same. It's Kubota UDT...not the super stuff for down here.

Maybe somebody can second that, this is the only UDT stuff I've seen. My L has never been swimming. :)

My NH fluid is "amber" and clear. never seen milky, but I have never looked at Kubota fluid either.
Bob

/ Weekend Repairs/check - Transmission Site glass repair #8  
With new fluid, the level is hard to see as the fluid is perfectly clear. Cloudy is bad. Cloudy is water. Water is bad (when in hydraulic oils and the like)

You probably should either flush and fill with new, or take a sample for analysis to see if it has water. Could you have used contaminated fluid?

jb