Kubota won't start

/ Kubota won't start #1  

IanM

Tractor
Kubota L2550GST
Yesterday my L2550 wouldn't start. The battery was way past warranty and corroded around the posts so I replaced it. You guessed it, it still won't start. Here is what it does: Turning the key to the first position lights all the idiot lights but when you turn to start they go out. There is no sound, no click, nothing. When the key is returned to the off position there is a loud 5 sec buzz. If you immediately turn the key back on the lights do not come on and then there is no buzz when you return the key to the off position. If you wait half an hour or so then you get the lights, no light, then buzz as before. I'm thinking relay, but I know there are several. Or perhaps a bad starter motor. Any ideas? Your help is greatly appreciated. I'm looking at a grape harvest soon and need this tractor.

IanM

/ Kubota won't start #2  
I suspect you'll find it's something minor. Are you certain your connection to the battery is good? That sure sounds like the symptoms of a loose connection.

/ Kubota won't start #3  
Did you get the same polarity battery. Some batteries look the same but have positive and negative post reversed.
Sounds like a bad connection though.

/ Kubota won't start
Thanks for the help. The polarity is right and the connections look good, but I'll give them a good cleaning in the morning.

IanM

/ Kubota won't start #5  
I would agree with Ron. Battery can have good enough connection for the lights, but not for the starter to turn over.

/ Kubota won't start #6  
I've had similar symptoms. The cables had corroded inside the insulation and had to be replaced. Ever since, I am suspicious of any cable that has be corroded at all.

/ Kubota won't start #7  
Also check the connection where the ground cable from the battery connects to the frame of the tractor. Take it loose, clean off all paint, rust, other corrosion/debris, apply a thin layer of grease, and reconnect. These ground connections are notorious.

/ Kubota won't start #8  
Probably you've tried jumper cables direct to a good ground and to the starter itself, to rule out cable problems. Sure sounds like you're not getting juice to the starter, just a little to the lights and relays. Try bypassing the solenoid also, to see if it's just that. A 12v test light on the big starter terminal should light in start position.
Jim

/ Kubota won't start
I've thoroughly cleaned battery/ground conections and the starter connections and still no luck. When I attach a 12v test light to the big starter terminal it lights with the key in the off position and in the first position but then goes out when the key is moved to the start position. Jumper cable from positive battery to starter does nothing. I've tried jumper cable from neg battery to ground but get the same results. Not sure how to test the solenoid. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

IanM

/ Kubota won't start #10  
I had several L2550s, the easiest to start tractor I have ever owned
or driven. The starter switches go bad eventually, due to their
inability to keep water and dirt out. The easiest test is to take a
short jumper wire and short the positive battery terminal on the
starter motor to the start terminal a couple of inches away. If you
get nothing, the #1 cuplrit is a bad ground strap from battery to
engine block, in my experience.