Repair: Kubota B7100 dropping 3pt hitch

/ Repair: Kubota B7100 dropping 3pt hitch #1  

charlz

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B7100D
I thought I would share some pictures of the 3pt o-ring change out I did. Here is the background/detail:

I bought this 1970's or so Kubota B7100 along with some attachments. I found that with heavy implements the 3 pt would go down almost as fast as it goes up :confused: this necessitated me constantly bumping the control handle whenever I had an implement on that I did not want dragging. The 3 pt 'speed control' could slow it down but than meant taking forever to purposely let the implements down as well so that was not the problem. After reviewing the parts manual and searching posts here on TBN I decided the o-ring on the 3pt lift cylinder was the culprit. I purchased a new o-ring from the dealer for about $2.50 as well as new o-rings for the cover. About $5.00 in parts altogether.

The first pic is the cover coming off, about a cup of fluid spewed out but I had already put something on the concrete to catch the oil ;)

The second pic is a close up of the piston. This is as far forward as it comes with the lift arms all the way up.

Pic three I used a magnet to pull the piston out of the cylinder.

Pic four shows the inside of the cylinder, not too bad for about a 30 year old tractor.

Pic five shows the piston, old o-ring in place and new o-ring leaning next to it, you can already see the old o-ring probably isn't even making contact with the sides of the cylinder anymore.

Pic six shows old o-ring on the left and new o-ring on the right. This really gives you an idea of how badly the o-ring was worn.

Pic seven is the piston with the new o-ring in place.

Put it all back together, topped off the oil and took it for a test run. The 3 pt hitch is now good as new, even with my almost 400 lb tiller it didn't drop even a little bit in a 15 minute period.

If you went straight to it you could probably do this in under an hour but I got side-tracked a few times;) Gotta say I am pretty happy with this $5.00 repair. :D

(Hopefully all the attachments work)

Charles

Attachments

• 3pt_repair1.jpg
    3pt_repair1.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 2,737
  • 3pt_repair2.jpg
    3pt_repair2.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 2,387
  • 3pt_repair3.jpg
    3pt_repair3.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 2,493
  • 3pt_repair4.jpg
    3pt_repair4.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 2,313
  • 3pt_repair5.jpg
    3pt_repair5.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 2,174
  • 3pt_repair6.jpg
    3pt_repair6.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 2,250
  • 3pt_repair7.jpg
    3pt_repair7.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 2,461
   / Repair: Kubota B7100 dropping 3pt hitch #2  
Good job:)

/ Repair: Kubota B7100 dropping 3pt hitch #3  
Nice job, and nice pics.

i must say.. kubota sure made it easy to change that piston oring.

on an old ford that might have been a 4 hour job, pulling the seat, side cover , 3pt linkage, and then removing the entire top cover, unbolting the cyl from the cover, replacing the piston/rings and then reinstalling using 5 more gaskets, plus the 2-3 rings on the piston.. etc.

Soundguy

charlz said:
I thought I would share some pictures of the 3pt o-ring change out I did. Here is the background/detail:

I bought this 1970's or so Kubota B7100 along with some attachments. I found that with heavy implements the 3 pt would go down almost as fast as it goes up :confused: this necessitated me constantly bumping the control handle whenever I had an implement on that I did not want dragging. The 3 pt 'speed control' could slow it down but than meant taking forever to purposely let the implements down as well so that was not the problem. After reviewing the parts manual and searching posts here on TBN I decided the o-ring on the 3pt lift cylinder was the culprit. I purchased a new o-ring from the dealer for about $2.50 as well as new o-rings for the cover. About $5.00 in parts altogether.

The first pic is the cover coming off, about a cup of fluid spewed out but I had already put something on the concrete to catch the oil ;)

The second pic is a close up of the piston. This is as far forward as it comes with the lift arms all the way up.

Pic three I used a magnet to pull the piston out of the cylinder.

Pic four shows the inside of the cylinder, not too bad for about a 30 year old tractor.

Pic five shows the piston, old o-ring in place and new o-ring leaning next to it, you can already see the old o-ring probably isn't even making contact with the sides of the cylinder anymore.

Pic six shows old o-ring on the left and new o-ring on the right. This really gives you an idea of how badly the o-ring was worn.

Pic seven is the piston with the new o-ring in place.

Put it all back together, topped off the oil and took it for a test run. The 3 pt hitch is now good as new, even with my almost 400 lb tiller it didn't drop even a little bit in a 15 minute period.

If you went straight to it you could probably do this in under an hour but I got side-tracked a few times;) Gotta say I am pretty happy with this $5.00 repair. :D

(Hopefully all the attachments work)

Charles

/ Repair: Kubota B7100 dropping 3pt hitch #4  
nice job , well done,

Looking at the picture of the cylinder bore does show some marks or scratches, did you hone the bore before you put the piston back or not. What does everyone think - would this ruin the replacement seal as you need a smooth bore to seal well, or would honing improve the seal?

/ Repair: Kubota B7100 dropping 3pt hitch #5  
I would try to hone down any scratches I found. Deep scratches will eventually degrade the orings. etc.

soundguy

/ Repair: Kubota B7100 dropping 3pt hitch #6  
Many thanks for the concise description and the accompany series of pictures. Job well done. Report well done.:D :D :D

/ Repair: Kubota B7100 dropping 3pt hitch
From what I remember the scratches look worse in the photo than they really were. I did not hone it out and still works fine almost 2 years later.

/ Repair: Kubota B7100 dropping 3pt hitch #8  
I did the same job on a Yanmar 1401D about a year ago. It's remarkable how much the Kubota parts look the same. Makes sense, since they are around the same year and size. It was a pretty easy job, if I did it again I could probably tear it down and reassemble in less than two hours.

/ Repair: Kubota B7100 dropping 3pt hitch #9  
Charles,
Ten years later...I've got a b7100, same problem. Just wondering (if you still read this post), how did you keep the piston rod in place when reinserting the piston? I had a Satoh, and had to take the arms off, etc...as the piston rod "laid down" on the bottom of the cylinder bore. Thanks!

/ Repair: Kubota B7100 dropping 3pt hitch #10  
The underside of the piston in concave (carved out) so that the rod will self center when you reinstall the piston. Helps if you move the hitch arms so that the rod is retracted as far as possible when inserting the piston.