Any place to get Thompson hyd pump rebuilt ?

/ Any place to get Thompson hyd pump rebuilt ? #1  

slowrev

Elite Member
Tractor
IH 2444
My firends IH 444 has a weak hydraulic pump, the local shops wont touch rebuilding it. Does anyone know of a place that will rebuild a Thompson hydraulic pump ? Also I have a cessna spare (weak) aux hyd pump for my 2444 that runs the loader and would be interested in getting it rebuilt.
any links or phone numbers would be welcome.
both pumps are premium priced from IH :(

/ Any place to get Thompson hyd pump rebuilt ? #3  
MrJimi said:
Do you have a pump number? Try these people
Surplus Center - Hydraulic Equipment Electric Motors
Surplus Center does not rebuild pumps or sell used pumps. They will, however, sell you a new one.

slowrev said:
My firends IH 444 has a weak hydraulic pump, the local shops wont touch rebuilding it. Does anyone know of a place that will rebuild a Thompson hydraulic pump ? Also I have a cessna spare (weak) aux hyd pump for my 2444 that runs the loader and would be interested in getting it rebuilt.
any links or phone numbers would be welcome.
I am surprised your local shop would not touch that pump. I know my guy would give it a shot, but that doesn't help you.:(

You might try and asking on the IH Red Power forums. All the IH experts hang out there and someone may know of a place that can help you.

IH Red Power forums

/ Any place to get Thompson hyd pump rebuilt ?
Actually I had looked at the surplus center. Not sure why they did not like the thompsons, they had done other pumps for my friend with good results.
And I am not really into buying a used pump of unknown quality. If I can find a place to get rebuilt we willo bite the big bullet and get new ones.
Yep was thinking about yesterdaystractors for a look see on the pump as well.
Thanks for the ideas though guys.
Ben

/ Any place to get Thompson hyd pump rebuilt ? #5  
More info. What kind of "local shops" won't touch it? Check with a large equipment dealer (Komatsu, Cat, Kobelco, etc.) and ask them who they use.

/ Any place to get Thompson hyd pump rebuilt ?
good idea BTDT. I know a repair crew chief for a Cat dealer. Very good Idea.

What IH wants for the aux front pump on my 2444 is unreal. $700 the last time I checked a year ago. I have a soloution for it though. I can get a nice Barnes pump and everything is the same , mount, input/output/capacity for $250. The only difference is the input shaft, but on it I can get a lovejoy coupler and take care of that. But the engine mounted pump is another matter.

The aux pump runs my loader only, and gets a bit weak after it is used heavy, still ok for most things though. I guess it should be a little worn since it is a 1968 model :) I did tests and it is the pump, Once it warms up good it wont trip the relief valve in a deadhead situation.