What broke on your tractor that ain't getting fixed?

/ What broke on your tractor that ain't getting fixed? #31  
Yep.. ditto.

I bought a tractor that just barely charged.. I mean.. the genny put out 13.0 volts.. I lived with that for a while, as it started and ran.. and as long as you ran it for an hour before putting it up.. it actually did recharge the battery enough to start the next time. At the point where I wanted to use lamps.. then i ran into problems.

I started digging into it and found it was the wrong reg.. kind of. The cutout was pulling in, but there was no working field control. The only reason the genny put anything out was that the reg had a bias resistor across the fild control, providing a very little bit of field current.. and thus a very little bit of charge. The ampmeter was wired int he system.. somewhere.. but not in the charge line... This was, as you mention.. a head scratcher that ended with new wireing, and a properly setup vr.

Soundguy

/ What broke on your tractor that ain't getting fixed? #32  
slowrev said:
We need brakes on tractors ?
Wow learn something every day ;)

I WILL NOT operate a tractor or anything without brakes, not after riding a brakeless Case 580 backhoe down a mountain road at over 48mph and almost hitting several cars and trucks. It's owner was following me in his car, that's how I know how fast it got going. Took everything that I had to keep it on the road and not over the side for over 4 miles. It was bouncing so bad that I couldn't stay in the seat and it didn't have a ROPS but I doubt that it would have helped anyway. Why is it that when you're in trouble on a grade there's always a curve at the bottom?

When I looked at this old Ford the first thing that I asked is if the brakes worked. And I keep them adjusted, always.

/ What broke on your tractor that ain't getting fixed? #33  
Were you not able to control travel speed to some degree with engine braking?

Soundguy

/ What broke on your tractor that ain't getting fixed? #34  
Ford960 said:
I WILL NOT operate a tractor or anything without brakes, not after riding a brakeless Case 580 backhoe down a mountain road at over 48mph and almost hitting several cars and trucks. It's owner was following me in his car, that's how I know how fast it got going. Took everything that I had to keep it on the road and not over the side for over 4 miles. It was bouncing so bad that I couldn't stay in the seat and it didn't have a ROPS but I doubt that it would have helped anyway. Why is it that when you're in trouble on a grade there's always a curve at the bottom?

When I looked at this old Ford the first thing that I asked is if the brakes worked. And I keep them adjusted, always.

I had a similar situation years ago when I borrowed the neighbors old Massey. Only he didn't tell me that the brakes faded badly and I didn't find out until I was coming down our sloped drive and headed for the pond. :eek:

I was able to finally get it stopped by standing up, saying a quick Hail Mary, and applying all my weight to the brake. That was also the very day when I decided to purchase our 1st tractor.

/ What broke on your tractor that ain't getting fixed?
Soundguy said:

Soundguy

I thought about this to. But I will say first time out on my BIL's old MF 1080 (90hp tractor) I headed down the branch dip toward my house, tractor took off, barely any brakes. With a ditch at the bottom, large oaks I saw my life flash. Standing up I got one side to hold enough.

LAter I found out on that tractor there is a lever on the dash, left gives you engine braking, right, nothing. With it off you could be idling along in 1st gear, hit a slope and the tractor would take off!! NEver seen that before on the deeres I drove.

/ What broke on your tractor that ain't getting fixed? #36  
RobJ said:
I thought about this to. But I will say first time out on my BIL's old MF 1080 (90hp tractor) I headed down the branch dip toward my house, tractor took off, barely any brakes. With a ditch at the bottom, large oaks I saw my life flash. Standing up I got one side to hold enough.

LAter I found out on that tractor there is a lever on the dash, left gives you engine braking, right, nothing. With it off you could be idling along in 1st gear, hit a slope and the tractor would take off!! NEver seen that before on the deeres I drove.

Sounds like you discovered that MAssey's MULTI-POWER shifter. Low would "free-wheel" on downhills. High gear would over-ride low gear and give you engine braking. You aren't the first to get an unexpected roller coaster ride on a MULTI-POWER tractor.

/ What broke on your tractor that ain't getting fixed? #37  
Soundguy said:

Soundguy
Well that was the plan that I had in mind but when it started picking up a lot of speed I found that it had jumped out of gear.

I knew right then that it was going to be a bad day. My first reaction was to drop the loader but that had little effect and soon I had the front wheels off the road. We were on our way to load dirt to fill in a swimming pool that a guy had us remove and he was leading the way in a borrowed dump truck. At one point he thought that he was going too fast and stopped in the middle of the road to let me catch up. Little did he know that I was coming on like a run away freight train and when he noticed that I was waving my arm and My BIL (the owner of this ragged out Case) was blowing the car horn. Just in the nick of time the truck took off just before I rammed into the back of it.

When I got to the required curve I took all the road that I could to try and keep it from flipping. About that time I met a small pick-up truck coming the other direction and I was in their lane. An old man and two girls, the look on their faces is still in my mind. He took the ditch but came right back out and kept going.

After reaching the bottom and starting up the other side I put it back in gear when it had slowed enough but it started to go backward and I reached around grabbed the boom lever and dropped it. The bucket tore up the road and stopped me right there. That's when I noticed that the shuttle was in neutral also.

It took about half an hour for my BIL to talk me into getting back on this POS and I loaded that truck 10 times the next day. I put my foot down when he said that I needed to drive it back over to the pool and he reluctantly borrowed a trailer. I think that he changed his mind when I said that I would drive the car.

If ever there was an accident waiting to happen this 580 Case was it.

/ What broke on your tractor that ain't getting fixed? #38  
Well I've only owned a tractor for a couple weeks so it is still a novelty. I enjoy checking it out. I have spent as much time working on it as I have working with it. The dealer is going to pick it up this week to take care of a few things he overlooked during the prep. It's a pretty basic machine with no luxury features beyond a padded seat. :) The last things to get fixed will be the ripped seat, rust repair on the fender and touch up the paint a bit. Dents will not get fixed unless I get really bored.