What broke on your tractor that ain't getting fixed?

/ What broke on your tractor that ain't getting fixed? #1  

RobJ

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L2500
Maybe a question for the older tractor owners of cheap people like me. This weekend I noticed my alternator on my 99 L2500 wasn't putting out. I checked a few things and all looked ok. Amp meter I put in last year sitting on 0, tester confirmed. I might take it off for a closer look but at over $200 I'll leave it for now(maybe forever). Tractor just gets runon the weekends and I can charge overnight. Worse case is I can get a trickle charger for $25 or so. I also don't run it at night.

My previous non fix was the old turf tire (front) that had about 15 plugs in it. It'd go flat over 2 weeks but hold air for the weekend. good enoug for me..

/ What broke on your tractor that ain't getting fixed? #2  
the lights dont work on mine. the brakes are marginal. the draft control is history. but none of these things keeps me from doing what i always did even when they were all working.

/ What broke on your tractor that ain't getting fixed? #3  
RobJ said:
Maybe a question for the older tractor owners of cheap people like me. This weekend I noticed my alternator on my 99 L2500 wasn't putting out. I checked a few things and all looked ok. Amp meter I put in last year sitting on 0, tester confirmed. I might take it off for a closer look but at over $200 I'll leave it for now(maybe forever). Tractor just gets runon the weekends and I can charge overnight. Worse case is I can get a trickle charger for $25 or so. I also don't run it at night.

My previous non fix was the old turf tire (front) that had about 15 plugs in it. It'd go flat over 2 weeks but hold air for the weekend. good enoug for me..

You can always build up some brackets and put an old style AC delco alternator on it for a whole lot less than 200.00....it has been done on many old tractors.

/ What broke on your tractor that ain't getting fixed? #5  
One of my tractors has been with me for 35-1/2 years. Another has been here for 27-1/2. Probably the biggest single reason why they've been around that long, and still perform like new is NOT neglecting to repair any and all problems as soon as they crop up.

Oh yeah, the CIGARETTE LIGHTER doesn't work on my Deere. Did I mention I don't smoke?

/ What broke on your tractor that ain't getting fixed? #6  
On my 5-yo NH TC45D, the steering wheel is supposed to have both tilt and height adjustment. I love the tilt, but never use the height adjustment and it has ceased to be functional. Not very high on my fix-it priorty list...

/ What broke on your tractor that ain't getting fixed? #7  
Brakes are a little flaky, but I am mostly flat except for the roadside ditches and don't use the brakes much.
Front diff. leaks a little, but only when I run in 4wd and I usually run 2 wd, so I don't worry about that one either.
Finally had my PTO clutch replaced as I was tired of having to start the tractor with the PTO engaged if I wanted to mow.

/ What broke on your tractor that ain't getting fixed? #8  
one of my steering cyls is slightly bent, and power steering leaks a few drops. Its not high on my list.

/ What broke on your tractor that ain't getting fixed? #9  
I bent to the point of having to remove it the tell-tale rod (right term?)for my front end loader. Will just have to learn bucket position without it.

Not related to my tractor, but I have a pull type brush mower with electric start, after replacing the starter switch twice, I now start it by hooking up an auto type remote starter button.

Barry

/ What broke on your tractor that ain't getting fixed? #10  
Farmwithjunk said:
One of my tractors has been with me for 35-1/2 years. Another has been here for 27-1/2. Probably the biggest single reason why they've been around that long, and still perform like new is NOT neglecting to repair any and all problems as soon as they crop up.

Oh yeah, the CIGARETTE LIGHTER doesn't work on my Deere. Did I mention I don't smoke?
I agree with this logic. Its important to mantain equipment. Helps with resale value in the long term. In the short term it just makes the work we do easier on us. Greg