Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tractor
    Kubota L2500

Default What broke on your tractor that ain't getting fixed?

Maybe a question for the older tractor owners of cheap people like me. This weekend I noticed my alternator on my 99 L2500 wasn't putting out. I checked a few things and all looked ok. Amp meter I put in last year sitting on 0, tester confirmed. I might take it off for a closer look but at over $200 I'll leave it for now(maybe forever). Tractor just gets runon the weekends and I can charge overnight. Worse case is I can get a trickle charger for $25 or so. I also don't run it at night.

My previous non fix was the old turf tire (front) that had about 15 plugs in it. It'd go flat over 2 weeks but hold air for the weekend. good enoug for me..
    L2500

Veteran Member

Default Re: What broke on your tractor that ain't getting fixed?

the lights dont work on mine. the brakes are marginal. the draft control is history. but none of these things keeps me from doing what i always did even when they were all working.

Tractor
    Kubota L2800, 15 hp 372 Mitsubishi

Quote Originally Posted by RobJ
    Maybe a question for the older tractor owners of cheap people like me. This weekend I noticed my alternator on my 99 L2500 wasn't putting out. I checked a few things and all looked ok. Amp meter I put in last year sitting on 0, tester confirmed. I might take it off for a closer look but at over $200 I'll leave it for now(maybe forever). Tractor just gets runon the weekends and I can charge overnight. Worse case is I can get a trickle charger for $25 or so. I also don't run it at night.

My previous non fix was the old turf tire (front) that had about 15 plugs in it. It'd go flat over 2 weeks but hold air for the weekend. good enoug for me..
    You can always build up some brackets and put an old style AC delco alternator on it for a whole lot less than 200.00....it has been done on many old tractors.

Platinum Member
    20 miles southeeast of downtown Sacramento
    Tractor
    Kubota BX23

The turn lights are never to hooked up again and the head lites are pretty useless to be replaced with rops lite.
    Kubota BX23, BT600 BH, LA210 FEL, Maschio L125 tiller, Gearmore BB 20-48 BB, King Cutter 6' rear blade, Homemade PHD, Brinly BST-50 broadcaster, ? 6' cultipacker, log & chain drag.

Tractor
    Where do I begin.....

One of my tractors has been with me for 35-1/2 years. Another has been here for 27-1/2. Probably the biggest single reason why they've been around that long, and still perform like new is NOT neglecting to repair any and all problems as soon as they crop up.

Oh yeah, the CIGARETTE LIGHTER doesn't work on my Deere. Did I mention I don't smoke?
    There are three kinds of men;
    1.) The ones that learn by reading
    2.) The few who learn by observation
    3.) The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.

Epic Contributor
    R.I.P.
    Tractor
    NHTC45D, NH LB75B, Ford Jubilee

On my 5-yo NH TC45D, the steering wheel is supposed to have both tilt and height adjustment. I love the tilt, but never use the height adjustment and it has ceased to be functional. Not very high on my fix-it priorty list...
    Jim

Veteran Member
    Home-1+ acres New Hope, TX / 24 acres-Fannin County
    Tractor
    JD 950

Brakes are a little flaky, but I am mostly flat except for the roadside ditches and don't use the brakes much.
    Front diff. leaks a little, but only when I run in 4wd and I usually run 2 wd, so I don't worry about that one either.
    Finally had my PTO clutch replaced as I was tired of having to start the tractor with the PTO engaged if I wanted to mow.
    Bill
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abe Lincoln

Tractor
    Ford 2910II

one of my steering cyls is slightly bent, and power steering leaks a few drops. Its not high on my list.

Tractor
    MF 1260

I bent to the point of having to remove it the tell-tale rod (right term?)for my front end loader. Will just have to learn bucket position without it.

Not related to my tractor, but I have a pull type brush mower with electric start, after replacing the starter switch twice, I now start it by hooking up an auto type remote starter button.

Barry

Silver Member
    Tractor
    New Holland TC33DA

Quote Originally Posted by Farmwithjunk
    One of my tractors has been with me for 35-1/2 years. Another has been here for 27-1/2. Probably the biggest single reason why they've been around that long, and still perform like new is NOT neglecting to repair any and all problems as soon as they crop up.

Oh yeah, the CIGARETTE LIGHTER doesn't work on my Deere. Did I mention I don't smoke?
    I agree with this logic. Its important to mantain equipment. Helps with resale value in the long term. In the short term it just makes the work we do easier on us. Greg
    Greg in SE. Mich. TC33DA,SS,FEL,72"MMM,72"FB,
    72"RB,60"BB,5'RC,PHD

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast