Marking chain length

/ Marking chain length #1  

AlanB

Elite Member
Tractor
NH 1925
I have just bought a new dump trailer, it uses 1/4" chain to make the tailgate work, slide it into the slot and let it drop like the old style pickups, or, slide it in the other slot and open the bottom like a dump truck.

It uses about 3' of chain on either side.

I would like to mark the chain so that I can set both sides equally, without counting or much fuss.

My thought was to paint one link of every 5 or so a different color. You would count in 5 and paint it say, Red, then count in another 5 and paint it green, count in another 5 and paint it say Blue.

I realize the paint will wear off (but suspect you will see traces for a long time)

I would rather not attach something permanent to the chains as they have to slip in the slots of the holding devices.

Better ideas or words of wisdom and experience?

/ Marking chain length #2  
AlanB said:
I have just bought a new dump trailer, it uses 1/4" chain to make the tailgate work, slide it into the slot and let it drop like the old style pickups, or, slide it in the other slot and open the bottom like a dump truck.

It uses about 3' of chain on either side.

I would like to mark the chain so that I can set both sides equally, without counting or much fuss.

My thought was to paint one link of every 5 or so a different color. You would count in 5 and paint it say, Red, then count in another 5 and paint it green, count in another 5 and paint it say Blue.

I realize the paint will wear off (but suspect you will see traces for a long time)

I would rather not attach something permanent to the chains as they have to slip in the slots of the holding devices.

Better ideas or words of wisdom and experience?

I have an A-frame engine hoist that I use to load and unload a few things from my truck and/or trailer. after repeatedly hooking and REhooking chains on the same items (to be lifted), I did something simular. I used cable ties on various chain links. They stay in place better than paint.

/ Marking chain length #3  
Both great ideas.

I use colored zip ties on hoses on aux remotes and laoder controlls to make sure I get the correct hose back into the correct port.

Soundguy