Frost Plug Removal?

/ Frost Plug Removal? #1  

shawnrogan

Tractor
Kioti CK30
Was hoping that someone could share the best way to remove a frost plug from a tractor's engine block. I want to install a block heater this weekend and wanted to avoid any pitfalls.
Thanks for any help.

/ Frost Plug Removal? #2  
Lot's of way's to remove freeze plugs.

1. (not suggested but have seen it done to many times) Just knock it into the engine block and let it in there.

2. Knock it with a hammer and punch at top or bottom and try to turn it sideway's and then pull out with vise grip pliers. Works most of the time and is the easiest way to do it. Does not require you to drill a hole in it and buy any special pullers.

3. (most used method) Screw type dent puller. Drill small hole in freeze plug and screw the dent puller into it. Give it a wack and out it pop's.

4. (correct way) Use a frost plug remover. Basically looks like a piece of flat band iron bent into a U shape. Has a threaded T-handle that goes through it and has a pointed threaded end. Drill small hole in frost plug and screw the puller into it. As you tighten the T-handle the plug is pulled out.

/ Frost Plug Removal? #3  
i drive a screw driver through them (off center) 1 of 2 things will happen

1) the screwdriver pokes through allowing you to pry it off
2) the freeze plug starts getting bent around and one end sticking out so you can get a pair of plyers on it to pull it out.

i would avoid anything that creates metal shavenigs that would wind up in the block (ie drill anything)

/ Frost Plug Removal?
Thanks,
I'll let you know how it goes. I think I'll try the screwdriver method since I too had concerns about metal shavings getting into the engine.

/ Frost Plug Removal? #5  
Easy way to prevent metal shaving's from getting in the engine block (and I should have mentioned it previously) is to either magnatize your drill bit or apply grease to it so the metal shaving's stick to it. Even if you do get any in the block they are very easily removed with a magnet. Remember, your only drilling through a very thin piece of metal, not the block itself so your not making alot of shaving's.

Another thing to consider is that if you ever have to replace one, do yourself a HUGE favor and replace the old steel ones with new brass ones. The brass ones will not rust out like the old steel ones will and do not cost that much more. Most good auto parts stores cary both steel and brass freeeze plugs.

/ Frost Plug Removal? #6  
I have used a telescoping pickup tool with a strong magnet on it, stuck just off to the side of the drill, and it will catch ferris chips.. even ones the go into the hole right when it is pierced.. they just stick to the back of the plug as long as you are not to energetic about it.

Soundguy

/ Frost Plug Removal? #7  
Slow method (not recommended). Drain coolant, refil with water, park outside overnight in freezing weather. Pick freeze plugs up off of ground next day.