Repair/mechanic tricks and or tips?

/ Repair/mechanic tricks and or tips? #1  

BTDT

Veteran Member
Tractor
IH M Farmall-propane powered, H Farmall (father-in-laws), Ford 1300 diesel
Does anyone have any to share? Things you do to make your repairs easier, something you've added to tool to make it more effective (cheater pipe doesn't count)?

example: putting tape over end of wrench and wedging nut through tape to hold in place, using a short length of rubber hose slipped over end of sparkplug to help get started into recessed hole, etc.

/ Repair/mechanic tricks and or tips? #2  
How about when your pulling/pushing on a wrench and the bolt/nut is real tight, look where your hand is going if it slips! That my tip for now
Jim

/ Repair/mechanic tricks and or tips? #3  
A couple of things I can think of,

-Only work on things when the wife is not around, (always wants to talk when I am in the middle of something.)

-Turn off cell phone and take house phone off hook, (again, someone always wants to talk when you are busy.)

-Leave much more than 5 minutes to do a 5 minute job!

/ Repair/mechanic tricks and or tips? #4  
Did you ever have trouble with big fingers trying to hold a small nut in a tight place to start a bolt? Have you tried double sided tape (sticky on both sides) on the end of a finger, then stick the nut to it; i.e., have the nut stuck to the end of your finger instead of trying to grip it to hold it in place to start the nut?

/ Repair/mechanic tricks and or tips? #5  
Busted boot over a constant velocity joint? Just remove the old one by cutting the clamps and cutting it off. Then cut new one very carefully down one side; one side usually has a seam; cut along it. Put in place by sliding over shafts through cut opening. Then super glue the surfaces back together, using a super glue that'll set fairly quickly. Put clamps on the each side of the boot over the 2 opposing shafts. Drive away. Did this on a 220D Benz once. Sold it that way. Boot was still holding.

Use rubber surgeon glove for removing oil drain plug and for removing oil filter. Gloves protect, give better grip and provide some insulation against the heat.

Ralph

/ Repair/mechanic tricks and or tips? #6  
RalphVa said:
Use rubber surgeon glove for removing oil drain plug and for removing oil filter. Gloves protect, give better grip and provide some insulation against the heat.

Ralph

Do the same with gloves.
Bob

/ Repair/mechanic tricks and or tips? #7  
When changing a thermostat in an engine, press the flap open just enough to get an aspirin in to hold it open. Some engines will have an air pocket and can't get the coolant system full until it's run. With the aspirin the coolant will fill the system before starting the engine. The aspirin will dissolve and the flap will close.

Had a 574 IH with a d239 engine and it would take hours to get it full of coolant. With wet sleeves I didn't like running it with an air pocket in there some place. The aspirin took care of that problem.

/ Repair/mechanic tricks and or tips? #8  
Don't know if this qualifies or not, but I got tired always looking for ring pins that are used to secure implements in place. I finally took 2 single pieces of chain and bolted each to the folding PTO stub guard. Each link holds a pin until it is needed and they are always within easy reach.

Attachments

• pins.jpg
    pins.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 3,399
   / Repair/mechanic tricks and or tips? #9  
If you ever have to change a hyd. line coming from the tank and there in no way to shut ot off, get out the shopvac,plug the vent and put the shopvac hose in the filler neck and turn it on. Put a shop rag around the hose to make shure you get a good seal. When you take the line off it will draw in air insted of oil coming out. This also works changing sending units in the cooling system.

Bill

/ Repair/mechanic tricks and or tips? #10  
Hooked_on_HP said:
If you ever have to change a hyd. line coming from the tank and there in no way to shut ot off, get out the shopvac,plug the vent and put the shopvac hose in the filler neck and turn it on. Put a shop rag around the hose to make shure you get a good seal. When you take the line off it will draw in air insted of oil coming out. This also works changing sending units in the cooling system.

Bill

You just answered my question in regards how to change the hydraulic filter at 200 hours without loosing all the fluid since it is changed every 400 hours
Thanks! great idea.