transmission problems

/ transmission problems #1  

Johnagain

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 4310
I just got my JD 4310 E PowerReverser back from the dealer to have some warranty work done and when I went to load it on the trailer I found that I have no 1st gear. I drove it around the lot and found that in mid range that 1st gear is the same speed as 4th, and 2nd is the same as 3rd. I can now change between 1st & 4th and back again without using the clutch it is also the same way between 2nd & 3rd and back again. The actual ground speeds appear to be 3rd and 4th gears with 1&4 being slower that 2&3. I have the tractor at home now but will take it back after I'm finished with this job. I have not put it in the other ranges yet to see if this remains the same. They didn't open the gear box so they have no idea what has caused this. The repairs they did are:
1 repaired tilt steering
2 tighten rockshaft so 3pt wouldn't drop
3 replaced leaking steering cylinder
4 adjusted neutral safety switch linkage
5 replaced battery tray after new style battery leaked.

The only thing i think that could possible have anything to is the neutral safety linkage but they are sure this won't cause this problem.
The mechanic is checking with deere to see if this problem has come about in the past. Nothing makes sense to me. Any suggestions will be helpful.
Thanks John

Last edited:
   / transmission problems #2  
replaced leaking steering cylinder

How much did the steering cylinder cost around $1,100 ?

/ transmission problems
It was done under warranty so I have no idea how much it cost.