special tool made- job done

/ special tool made- job done #1  

varmint

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B8200, then a Kubota L3130 HST, now a Kubota L3400 HST
Several weeks ago I posted comments about trying to remove a block fitting on my Kubota B8200 so I could install a block heater. I needed a special socket to get the fitting out- and I wound up "making" it from a 1 5/16" socket. It worked, the fitting is out. (Heater is in). Here's a photo of the modified socket- an idea lots of readers probably are familiar with, but in case you aren't, it's a handy thing to know.

Attachments

• IMG_1701.JPG
    IMG_1701.JPG
    342.5 KB · Views: 804
   / special tool made- job done #2  
varmint,
Your tool modification is pretty cool.
It shows quick thinking and determination on your your behalf.
I love seeing how others solve problems.
Good post and thanks for sharing.

/ special tool made- job done #3  
Good job.

/ special tool made- job done #4  
Nice job on socket. One question, why wouldn't an open end wrench work?

/ special tool made- job done #5  
varmint said:
Several weeks ago I posted comments about trying to remove a block fitting on my Kubota B8200 so I could install a block heater. I needed a special socket to get the fitting out- and I wound up "making" it from a 1 5/16" socket. It worked, the fitting is out. (Heater is in). Here's a photo of the modified socket- an idea lots of readers probably are familiar with, but in case you aren't, it's a handy thing to know.

They say necessity is the mother of invention. I like anything that solves a problem or makes life easier.

Looking at yours, made me think of a little devise we made to operate the jack & spare tire rack on a loaded 1 ton truck (8,000 lb gross) with a battery drill. Sure is a lot easier than cranking.

I was also using all thread rods to pull fresh cut lumber up tight on a lumber trailer we built, for air drying. Pretty quickly, we decided an open end wrench was too slow, so we took a impact deep socket & cut it in half, then welded the two halves onto a pipe. We now have an ultra, ultra, long impact socket to work over the threaded rods.

/ special tool made- job done #7  
BTDT said:
Nice job on socket. One question, why wouldn't an open end wrench work?

He had clearance issues for the wrench.

Soundguy

/ special tool made- job done
Soundguy is correct: I could only get an open end wrench partly on it- too much hardware was in the way to get a proper purchase. (that's why you can see some brass buggered on one side) so it was either the "special tool" or something like what I came up with.

/ special tool made- job done #10  
varmint said:
I needed a special socket to get the fitting out- and I wound up "making" it from a 1 5/16" socket.

Now, put it on Ebay and sell it to the next guy who needs one!
Bob