Sea foam?

/ Sea foam? #11  
I went and bought some...the guy at the auto parts store swears by it. I've got an old 4 wheeler that was sitting in a neighbors barn for the last few years that seems to need a carb rebuild... I'll see how it works. In reading the lable is sounds like something I used to pour through carbs in the '60's and cause a lot of smoke....I think it was called Casite. Seemed to work then, maybe this stuff is better.

/ Sea foam? #12  
The stuff works great. I use it to clean power valves on snowmobiles and put it in the gas tank for summer storage. A lot of boaters use it and I also use it on atv, lawnmower. plowking

/ Sea foam? #13  
I use it in my snowmobiles as well. I usually have a can or two on hand. It seems to work well in the sleds.

Also, I was driving home from work one day after having gassed up my truck. It started running very rough, I though for sure it was going to quit before I got home. I managed to getr there, ran into the garage and dumped a can of Seafoam in the tank. The truck idle smoothed back out, haven't had a problem with it since. This was last spring. It seems like it was probably bad fuel, maybe had water in it. Whatever it was, the SeaFoam took care of it once it cycled into the motor.

/ Sea foam? #14  
the guys over on the toyota thread have a huge tread on the stuff.... good reports from just about everyone... removing gum and tar deposits etc.

its rumored that just about any modern automatic transmission fluid works about the same because of the detergants in it. (which is basicly what the stuff is)

/ Sea foam? #15  
The way I have heard it used is to pour it down the running intake either by vacuum hose or directly into the carb/throttle body. Slowly of course, to prevent it from hydraulicing.

Do this with the whole can just barely keeping the engine running. Then immdediately shut it off. Leave it overnight.

The next day start it up and it will smoke like crazy.

I've never done it but I would not be afraid to. I have poured water down the intake for an internal steam cleaning of my older carbureted engines. Have you ever seen a combustion chamber after a blown head gasket leaked antifreeze into the cylinder? Clean as a whistle.

/ Sea foam? #16  
I've heard about it as a fuel stabilizer, much better than Staybil. Havent tried it yet, maybe when I run out of Staybil. :rolleyes:

/ Sea foam? #17  
Seafoam is the color your wife wants to paint the bathroom.

/ Sea foam? #18  
Highbeam said:
The way I have heard it used is to pour it down the running intake either by vacuum hose or directly into the carb/throttle body. Slowly of course, to prevent it from hydraulicing.

Do this with the whole can just barely keeping the engine running. Then immdediately shut it off. Leave it overnight.

The next day start it up and it will smoke like crazy.

I've never done it but I would not be afraid to. I have poured water down the intake for an internal steam cleaning of my older carbureted engines. Have you ever seen a combustion chamber after a blown head gasket leaked antifreeze into the cylinder? Clean as a whistle.

Great way to destroy your Oxygen sensors and destroy your catalytic converter is dump a bunch of oil and solvents down the intake. Unless of course you wanted to replace them anyhow. :) I have seen more than one converter plugged up by someone dumping cleaners directly into the intake system.

The old water trick still works good. The rapid expanssion of water to steam is explosive in nature and is great for removing deposits out of the cylinder. Just make sure you don't use to much and also allow the engine to run for a while afterwards to allow any water to evaporate in your engine. The last thing you want to do is replace the crud you just removed with rust.

Don't forget that products like this are 50% marketing hype, 25% myth and 25% truth.

One thing to think about is if you destroy your engine, sensors or converter using a product like this will they pay for the repairs? I highly doubt it. Be very carefull with "snake-oil" type fix's in a bottle because the snake just might bite back.

/ Sea foam? #19  
It has greatly improved the all around performance of my 1986 Yamaha V6 (2 stroke) outboard. I usually use 2 cans during the boating season.

/ Sea foam? #20  
I have used seafoam for 10 or so years, and while it is not the solution to every fuel system problem, I have probably used it 30 or so times on my own stuff, customer cars, and some vehicles and equipment that I maintain as a fleet mechanic. I have tried it a couple of times by adding to fuel tank and have not noticed any real difference, however , when drawn through the intake tract of an engine, the stuff is just awesome. What I do is warm the engine to operating temp, remove the vacume hose from the gromet in the power brake booster, and slowly pour the bottle into the vacume hose of the running engine. the engine will usualy begin to idle very rough and sometimes stall, if it does not stall, shut it off and let it sit for 10 minutes. after the time has passed, it may be a bit hard to start, due to the plugs being wet, and once it starts, usualy runs rough. take vehicle out on road and run it to redline several times and you will be stunned by how much smoke and black sludge comes out the tail pipe. after treating newer vehicles, mil light {service engine light will normaly come on during initial roadtest and vehicle will store several misfire codes and low 02 codes, this situation will clear up in a couple minutes after you blow out all the crap, but normaly requires a scanner to clear the codes out and turn off the light. I have treated everything from carbeurated 305s to 2004 cadilac northstars and a dodge viper v10 in this manner and have never flamed out a converter, ruined an 02 sensor or done any internal engine damage, however common sense and experience play a role in that. If you were to try and feed it the whole bottle all at once, you could frag an engine pretty easily. if in doubt, get someone who knows how to show you, otherwise, dont mess with it. I have not tried the stuff on a diesel yet, have any of you,? if so, howd it work?