extracting a stripped recessed hex head screw?

/ extracting a stripped recessed hex head screw? #21  
Yes, I liked the magnetic aluminum statement also. Welds like that are very easy if you have a tig machine!!
David from jax

/ extracting a stripped recessed hex head screw? #22  
Actually, I believe all those were done with .023 wire in either a Millermatic 125 or a baby lincoln. I don't think any were done with the tig.

It is actually easier than you guys are making it out too be.

/ extracting a stripped recessed hex head screw? #23  
AlanB said:
Actually, I believe all those were done with .023 wire in either a Millermatic 125 or a baby lincoln. I don't think any were done with the tig.

It is actually easier than you guys are making it out too be.

Again, that's assuming one has a welder. My guess is, if he were a welder, he wouldn't be asking how to get that screw out.

/ extracting a stripped recessed hex head screw? #24  
lively1 said:
This may sound like a stupid question. What is a left handed drill???? Tonight I will try the torx suggestion and see what happens. I will hopefully have some success. If I could find our digital camera I would take some pics, but my wife has seemed to "misplaced" it and no one can seem to find it.
A drill for lefties

/ extracting a stripped recessed hex head screw?
Well I still haven't seemed to find the time to try removing that screw again. But I appreciate all of the advice. I'll first try the torx screw driver and then move on to the Left Hand drill if I can find one.... The screw is on a shaft for my recently purchased Jacobsen aerator/slit seeder. I am planning on reconditioning it this winter.... sandblasting, painting, rebuilding a leaky gear box, replacing seed feeder cogs, just a good general overhaul. This stuck screw is on a shaft for the seed rate adjustment so you can see that it is something that I need to be able to loosen in order to service the seeder.... Hopefully the rest of the restoration project goes smooth.

Thanks again

Lively1

/ extracting a stripped recessed hex head screw? #26  
Post a picture when you find the camera. Lots of good ideas, and I might be able to add to them if I knew exactly what the part looks like. I have always been a fan of heat, so heating and cooling might just break the rust that is binding this screw. It is also possible that it was installed with Loctite, and you will need heat to release the Loctite. Dusty

/ extracting a stripped recessed hex head screw? #27  
I have a tig machine, and no wire welder. Welding small stuff like that is a piece of cake for it.
David from jax

/ extracting a stripped recessed hex head screw? #28  
I like the pounding in the next size larger hex but hex screws are hard. So if you have a torch and can heat it it really helps. Sort of like forging. Let it cool before you try to back it out. If you start a LH drill I think it will break on the hex corners left particularly if it is small. This assumes the screw is not in something like a camera.

/ extracting a stripped recessed hex head screw? #29  
Alot of good ideas here. Here's my take on it. Have removed no telling how many broken fasteners out of just about every conceivable situation and the one I try to use if at all possible is drilling and using an extractor. Your hole must be centered and small enough to not let the extractor engage the the threads of the piece. The best bit is a cobalt 135 degree split point, run slow and plenty of cutting oil, it will drill virtually all metals. I use Snap-On cobalts. A Dremel tool is good for getting a small dimple in the center of the broken screw for starting the hole. The best extractors in my experience are the hex-head spiral type - a quality one, not HF or such. I have a Mac set. The typical square "easy outs" are nothing but trouble, I'd stay away from them. If all this fails, I would go with the drilling it out and installing a Heli-coil as mentioned already.

/ extracting a stripped recessed hex head screw? #30  
DieselPower said:
They do make stripped head allen head screw extractors. I have a set and use them from time to time.

If you don't want to buy a whole set you can also try using a Torx head bit. Get a bit that is slightly bigger than the allen head screw and drive it in with a hammer. It will cut 6 slots into it when you drive it in and usually allow you to get enough grip to remove it. Worth a try.

you know how many times i have had to do that on d-max rocker covers? ugg the worst part is they were always the ones in the back. If that method did not work it was time for mr. air hammer