extracting a stripped recessed hex head screw?

/ extracting a stripped recessed hex head screw? #1  

lively1

Madison County, Illinois - Near St. Louis
Tractor
Kubota B2910
I am looking to figure out how to extract a recessed stripped hex head screw. The thing is pretty tiny, so my craftsman screw extractors won't work on them. I also thought about drilling a small tap into it and then try to screw a screw into it... Not sure how else to do it. I've lubed it up with Kroil and WD-40 and tried several larger sized hex head drivers to loosen it up, but no luck. Any recommendations?

Thanks,
lively1

/ extracting a stripped recessed hex head screw? #2  
They do make stripped head allen head screw extractors. I have a set and use them from time to time.

If you don't want to buy a whole set you can also try using a Torx head bit. Get a bit that is slightly bigger than the allen head screw and drive it in with a hammer. It will cut 6 slots into it when you drive it in and usually allow you to get enough grip to remove it. Worth a try.

/ extracting a stripped recessed hex head screw? #3  
that is the way I do it. Torx bit and either my hand impact driver or tap on the screw driver handle while turning. Is the screw in a blind hole? or can you screw it all the way through and get it out that way? If you do have to drill a blind hole use a left handed bit, It might catch and pull it right out.

/ extracting a stripped recessed hex head screw? #4  
I have had luck driving a lrger allen head into it. You can hold an allen head at an angle to get more grip ,if it's wallowed out a little.

/ extracting a stripped recessed hex head screw? #5  
Fireman Pat has got it.

A left handed drill will often screw these right out with no further work. If not, they make very small "easy-outs".

/ extracting a stripped recessed hex head screw? #6  
Take a mig with .023 wire, drop a dot of weld at a time on the top and then grab that little stalagtite (mite?) with vice grips and unscrew it.

/ extracting a stripped recessed hex head screw? #7  
Where exactly is this bad screw?

/ extracting a stripped recessed hex head screw?
BlacknTan said:
Fireman Pat has got it.

A left handed drill will often screw these right out with no further work. If not, they make very small "easy-outs".

This may sound like a stupid question. What is a left handed drill???? Tonight I will try the torx suggestion and see what happens. I will hopefully have some success. If I could find our digital camera I would take some pics, but my wife has seemed to "misplaced" it and no one can seem to find it.

/ extracting a stripped recessed hex head screw? #9  
If you have a welder, weld a piece of steel to it and back it out

Cut to size
File to fit
Paint to match !!

/ extracting a stripped recessed hex head screw? #10  
A left hand drill bit has the flutes going in the opposite direction of a regular drill bit. It is used in the counter clockwise direction and thereby often times uncrews the screw while you are drilling it.