dozer track came off sprocket

/ dozer track came off sprocket #1  

Greg_Thomas

Tractor
Mahindra 4110
I have a Mitsubishi '93 BD2G series II dozer. The front of the right track has partly come off the front sprocket and the lower half of the track is off the rollers. The left side of the tracks are pressing against the blade arm so the blade can't be raised or lowered. The dozer apparently slid sideways and back a bit on a big rock. When it slid sideways the tracks were pushed against a stump. Other than that, it's working great.
Is there a way to press tracks back on if I could lift the front of the dozer off the ground?
If so, what is the best way to lift the dozer? It weighs about 10,000 lbs. It would be difficult to get a tow truck to where it is.

Attachments

• 06101415_Dzr_trk_1sml.JPG
    06101415_Dzr_trk_1sml.JPG
    178.7 KB · Views: 3,501
   / dozer track came off sprocket #2  
You could contact someone with an excavating business or a dealer that sells dozers etc, and start asking questions. They might be able to help you out of this mess for a few $$$.

/ dozer track came off sprocket #3  
Remove the large grease fitting on the arm going to the idler. Pull the arm hack with a com-a-long. A whole tube of grease will come out of the fitting hole. Put blocking under the blade & use downpressure to lift the front of the dozer. Use bar/ tractor & chain/ com-a-long to pull track under idler. Replace grease fitting & pump in a tube of grease until track is tight. It isn't hard but it isn't fun either. Shouldn't take more than 1 hour. Good luck, MikeD74T

If com-a-long won't pull the idler back put a block between the track & blade & use power angle to push idler back. This should allow enough slack to move blade up/down. Otherwise crawl under with blocking & hydraulic jack.

/ dozer track came off sprocket #4  
I lost the track on my dozer a few years ago and didn't have a clue on what to do. I called a friend who has heavy equipment ang got his mechanics number. He said he'd be right out, but never showed. I started calling other mechanics and even United Rental to see if they could put the track back on. Everyone said yes, no problem, and that they'd be right there. No one ever showed up.

Finally I decided to figure it out myself. I used a 20 ton bottle jack and a bunch of 4x6 blocks to get my 40,000 pound dozer in the air.

Once I got it in the air, I realized the tracks were too heavy to move. I had to use my backhoe and chains to pull them around. I did like Mike said, and removed the greese fitting for my tension cylinders. I didn't think of a come along to pull it back. I used the chain and my other tractor.

Just take your time and go slow.

If your curious about the process I went through on my dozer, go to Search and type "Lost my Track" and my name, EddieWalker. It was back in August of 2004, but you should be able to find it real easy if your interested.

Eddie

/ dozer track came off sprocket #5  
What is the biggest reason dozer's tracks come off ??? Is it worn rollers and pins or not keeping enough grease in the idler ?

A guy would really be in a fix if the track came off in a bunch of deep mud and freezing weather to boot.

/ dozer track came off sprocket #6  
Greg_Thomas said:
I have a Mitsubishi '93 BD2G series II dozer. The front of the right track has partly come off the front sprocket and the lower half of the track is off the rollers. The left side of the tracks are pressing against the blade arm so the blade can't be raised or lowered. The dozer apparently slid sideways and back a bit on a big rock. When it slid sideways the tracks were pushed against a stump. Other than that, it's working great.
Is there a way to press tracks back on if I could lift the front of the dozer off the ground?
If so, what is the best way to lift the dozer? It weighs about 10,000 lbs. It would be difficult to get a tow truck to where it is.

You should be able to lift the front with the blade and then try locking the left track and easing forward to roll the track on.

/ dozer track came off sprocket #7  
What MikeD74T, EddieWalker, & kevinj said. Tracks are pretty simple to get back on but they is heavy. Loosen it up, try back forward thing (have a good spotter so ya don’t make things worse). If that don’t work, lift it up and block it (if the blade won’t do it a good bottle jack will). Try the back forward thing again, a lot of times the track will just go back where it belongs when it turns in the air (like a half on belt). If that doesn’t work you will have to apply some force. A chain hooked on the edge of the track connected to a truck/tractor/winch/comealong to as you spin it should do the trick. You will have to get alittle more creative with the force thing if that doesn’t do it but it should be easy to see where it needs to applied. When it gets back where it belongs tighten the track with your grease gun and off ya go.

/ dozer track came off sprocket #8  
It looks like that machine has wide pads on it and they will need to be kept tighter than regular to stay on also by how far the idler is out on the track frame they seem to be wore to that makes it harder to keep on. Unless the track is jammed up on the blade frame raise the machine with the blade and let a little grease out of adjuster and it will fall right on put lots of them on in the last 30 odd years and it not that hard on a small dozer like that.

/ dozer track came off sprocket #9  
Mike and the others gave you spot on advice about using the cline adjustemnt to help reset the tractor. it's exactly what we do here when our dozers drop a track.

Check that undercarriage for wear.. pins too.. track may need to have a link removed.. and or sprocket and idler replacements.. etc.. or if on the cheap.. welded up.. etc. ( been there.. done that )

Soundguy

/ dozer track came off sprocket #10  
I would definitely weld (build up) rather than replace. Those are some pricey pieces of iron. Might take a bar and try to wiggle idler side to side to check and see if bushings are worn. Might not be able to tell much without breaking track, but it's worth checking. Not something that "has" to be done right away, but at least you would know if a rebuild is in your future. Sometimes tracks come off, hopefully you can get'er back to work without much maintenance downtime.