Tractor
    mf 1428v & 1464 fel

Default top link question

I bought a larger top link and when I took the old one off I noticed the old one was a bit different than the new one. Where the old one attached to the tractor, the top link has spacers to keep it from moving side to side. The new one does not. Should I look for spacers for the new top link?

Here's what the spacers on my old top link looks like:

Here's what the whole thing looks like:

Massey Ferguson 1428v, 1464 FEL, Woods PRD6000, Woods BB60, and 7' rear blade.

Tractor
    MF 1440-4 PowerShuttle

Default Re: top link question

Most people don't worry about it. I don't like the slop myself. The easiest way to fix it is to get two category 1 spacer sleeve. Cut both so that they are the right size and put one on each side of the new top link. Most dealers and also Tractor Supply carries the sleeves. If you don't like the loose pieces there, you can tack weld them to the new arm.

Elite Member
    Rest in Peace

Tractor
    Kubota B2710, IH TD6-62 dozer with Drott 4n1 bucket loader

Actually I believe the "slop" is there for a reason. It allow some twist between the implement and the top link. This avoids undue stress on the 3pt linkage especially when the implement moves side to side.
    My friends call me Mad, everyone else thinks I'm mad.

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

It seems like the ball ends will twist even with the spacers installed???

Thus the spacers are not prohibiting any mvement..etc.

Soundguy

Tractor
    mf 1428v & 1464 fel

Quote Originally Posted by JerryG
    Most people don't worry about it. I don't like the slop myself. The easiest way to fix it is to get two category 1 spacer sleeve. Cut both so that they are the right size and put one on each side of the new top link. Most dealers and also Tractor Supply carries the sleeves. If you don't like the loose pieces there, you can tack weld them to the new arm.
    Ok, I won't worry about it for the time being. Next time I'm in TSC, I'll pick up a couple spacers. I just saw the difference and didn't want to do harm.

Many thanks to all.
    Massey Ferguson 1428v, 1464 FEL, Woods PRD6000, Woods BB60, and 7' rear blade.

Tractor
    Iseki TA 207

A 3/4" pipe nipple cut to fit is also a cheap fix. They are at any hardware or box store. If you can, I would weld them on. They are easy to loose when not being used.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    JD 4520, Toolcat 5610, Bobcat S300, Case-IH 125 Pro, Case-IH 245, IH 1086, IH 806

Quote Originally Posted by GaryS
    I bought a larger top link and when I took the old one off I noticed the old one was a bit different than the new one. Where the old one attached to the tractor, the top link has spacers to keep it from moving side to side. The new one does not. Should I look for spacers for the new top link?

Here's what the spacers on my old top link looks like:

Here's what the whole thing looks like:

I wouldn't worry about it. What little movement there is will not matter. Your top link with the spacer on the sides is actually unusual. I have not seen one standard like that.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    JD4300

Looks like his unit has a wide gap for the top link pin. Those spacers could actually add strength to the pin to prevent it from bending under load, not to mention keeping the force centered evenly between the two ears for the pin...I would try to duplicate the original somehow.

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

Just a little bit of welding will make that happen.

Soundguy