Bent exhaust pipe!

/ Bent exhaust pipe! #11  
since you are so close to the end of tail pipe anyhow, would the exaughst bother you if you just cut it off before the bend? If you angled the cut to blow down, or out to one side? This way its shorter and you can go back in the same spot and not bend it again:D :D . I couldnt tell from the pics if it realy needed to be that long. I shortened mine because it always blew in my face when hooking up the 3 pt pins.

/ Bent exhaust pipe! #12  
At a minimum, I'd cut the damage out and use a flair to flair to sleave it back together with a sheetmetal screw in a couple places to hold the sleave in.. perhaps some muffler putty spread on the od of the pipe before pressed into the sleave.. or torch in a piece and then not worry about any small exhaust leaks that may or may not show up at the sleave.

Bare minimum.. I'd cut it off at the restriction before further use...

Soundguy

Doc_Bob said:
I have a horizontal exhaust pipe on my New Holland TN70A. I was backing up and it got caught on a piece of wood and bent the pipe and perforated shield on the pipe. So, any ideas on how to fix this thing? The replacement pipe costs 111 dollars. The tractor runs fine (maybe a bit quieter???) How much harm does this exhaust pipe restriction do to my turbocharged 3 cylinder diesel? The only reason I found that it was bent was doing my usual walk around inspection while I was taking a break. I had no idea it was bent.

Bob

[

/ Bent exhaust pipe! #13  
Doc_Bob said:
I will look again in the am, my first guess is 40%.
Bob

Gee, if this happened to me I would seriously consider rotating the exhaust system to the vertical position.

My newly-acquired (last July) 1966 MF-135 diesel has a horizontal exhaust system. Don't like this arrangement for the hay farming that I intend to start next year. Possible grass fire hazard. I bought the adapter that changes it to a vertical layout. Cost about $20 for the adapter. Reuse the muffler and some of the exhaust pipe. Pretty simple and cheap fix.

/ Bent exhaust pipe! #14  
put me in the "just cut it off" camp .... (with the option to replace what you cut off if you dont like the results of just sliceing it off)

/ Bent exhaust pipe! #15  
flusher said:
Gee, if this happened to me I would seriously consider rotating the exhaust system to the vertical position.

My newly-acquired (last July) 1966 MF-135 diesel has a horizontal exhaust system. Don't like this arrangement for the hay farming that I intend to start next year. Possible grass fire hazard. I bought the adapter that changes it to a vertical layout. Cost about $20 for the adapter. Reuse the muffler and some of the exhaust pipe. Pretty simple and cheap fix.

Another down side to that downSWEPT exhaust. If you leave the tractor running while hooking up an implement, you'll be standing in the exhaust while doing so.

Another plus to vertical exhaust. With a muffler out in front of you, there's something knocking down cobwebs before they reach the operators station.

My F-40 and MF 50 have the underslung exhaust (for now) Both have smashed exhaust pipes (for now)

Reply to the original post. Turbo's deal with a LOT of heat. The'll do OK with the heat they're INTENDED to deal with, even a little extra. But a smashed exhaust pipe will create back pressure and trap heat due to not enough exhaust flow. I won't say it will DEFINATELY kill your turbo, but in any event, it won't do any good to keep that flat pipe. CUT IT OFF even if you don't replace it.

/ Bent exhaust pipe!
flusher said:

The tractor originally had a vert exhaust. My barn opening was too small for the vertical pipe, so I had it switched to a horizontal pipe. Now, in hindsight, I would have kept the vertical stack and just cut it short and then clamped it back on. Then I would unclamp it when I put it in the barn. But, no turning back now.
Bob

/ Bent exhaust pipe!
Farmwithjunk said:
Another down side to that downSWEPT exhaust. If you leave the tractor running while hooking up an implement, you'll be standing in the exhaust while doing so.

I actualy like the smell of diesel exhaust :D , in moderation.
Bob

/ Bent exhaust pipe!
Farmwithjunk said:
Reply to the original post. Turbo's deal with a LOT of heat. The'll do OK with the heat they're INTENDED to deal with, even a little extra. But a smashed exhaust pipe will create back pressure and trap heat due to not enough exhaust flow.

Cripes, I had an idea this was not a good thing. I have no idea how long I ran the tractor with the smashed pipe. I never noticed any difference, but I was just doing some bush hogging with 5 minute spurts of 2300 RPM, then idle, then another 5 minutes, then idle for awhile, and so forth and so forth. Weather wa 60 degrees F. I had just changed to Rotella 5-40W synthetic before I used the tractor (I also changed the filter). Most it was smashed was 60 minutes. Such is life. Do I have a new turbo in my future????
Bob

/ Bent exhaust pipe!
AlanB said:
I am in the muffler shop crowd as well.

I would be suprised if it was over $30, and it would be perfect.

Okay, here is the "plan". I ordered a new pipe from Messicks. I will dry fit the new pipe on to the tractor to make sure it fits. Then, with the new pipe in one hand and the old bent pipe in the other, I will go to a muffler shop and have let them use the new pipe as a template to fix the old bent pipe. Does this make sense?????? Then, I will have spare pipe to replace the new pipe next time I bend it (I know there will be a next time :D ).
Bob

/ Bent exhaust pipe! #20  
Sounds like a good plan to me.

Having spare parts is not a bad thing.

I've had probelms with a hard fuel line on my NH 7610s before that have left me stranded. A new fuel line is only 20 some odd dollars. I DO have a spare setting in my parts bin, and have fixed the old one.

Soundguy