Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Elite Member
    Tractor
    2003 NH TN70A

Default Re: Bent exhaust pipe!

Quote Originally Posted by firemanpat2910
    since you are so close to the end of tail pipe anyhow, would the exaughst bother you if you just cut it off before the bend? If you angled the cut to blow down, or out to one side? This way its shorter and you can go back in the same spot and not bend it again . I couldnt tell from the pics if it realy needed to be that long. I shortened mine because it always blew in my face when hooking up the 3 pt pins.
    All good questions. I assume NH engineers dumped the exhaust at that site (under the left side step) as a "compromise". I wonder if I take the pipe to a muffler shop if I can get a new pipe that dumps straight down at the same site as the bend? I wonder of being dumped straight down would blow alot of "dust" into the air? Questions and more questions! At least the pipe would be less vulnerable.

Bob

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

How about dumped down, but then with a slight flair to the rear.. just like a car exhaust.. etc.. so the exhaust vents out horizontal, just after the 90' bend.

Soundguy

Elite Member
    Tractor
    2003 NH TN70A

Well, after all the excellent advice here, I removed the bent exhaust and atttached a 18 inch flexible exhaust pipe. I am happy to report that the tractor runs fine. The exhaust is "clear" (no obvious smoke or particulates) and although the pipe gets hot, the exhaust is remarkably cool at the tip. After running it for an hour on a cool day (40 degrees) none of the adjacent parts get warm (the oil filter does, but that is to be expected). If the flexible pipe was 6 inches longer, it would clear the frame completely and might even be a permanent solution . Maybe some nice black exhaust paint and no one would ever notice?

DSC01225.JPG

DSC01223.JPG

DSC01226.JPG

Tractor
    TC-40D SS New Holland

Bob while you're crawling around under that TN messin' with the exhaust system why not go the double, chrome, vertical pipe set-up. That baby would sound mean and howl when you put her to work.

Tractor
    Several, all used and abused.

Bob,

One of the most annoying thing on my CUT is that the exhaust pipe pointed down just behind the front tires. When it's dry and dusty outside, the exhaust would be like a fan blowing down, which caused the dust to fly up. It got so bad that I stuck a crow bar into the end of the tail pipe and just pulled as hard as I could to turn it out.

It's either soft metal or it was hot enough to bend, because I was able to put enough turn into the pipe to have it exit the side.

I would never own a tractor that sent it's exhaust straight down, but from the looks of your setup, you can fix it pretty easy when things dry up and get dusty.

Eddie

Elite Member
    Tractor
    2003 NH TN70A

Quote Originally Posted by PineRidge
    Bob while you're crawling around under that TN messin' with the exhaust system why not go the double, chrome, vertical pipe set-up. That baby would sound mean and howl when you put her to work.
    Chrome ! Sounds nice. Maybe hang some nice nice on the dash while I am at it with the chrome pipes :-). One friend described my flex pipe solution as "ghetto". I will dry fit the new pipe next week and see what happens. IF all goes as planned, I will have the bent pipe fixed and then have a spare I will never need since I will not reuse the 4 inch extension and therefore never bend another exhaust pipe.
    Bob

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123