Bent exhaust pipe!

/ Bent exhaust pipe! #1  

Doc_Bob

Elite Member
Tractor
2003 NH TN70A
I have a horizontal exhaust pipe on my New Holland TN70A. I was backing up and it got caught on a piece of wood and bent the pipe and perforated shield on the pipe. So, any ideas on how to fix this thing? The replacement pipe costs 111 dollars. The tractor runs fine (maybe a bit quieter???) How much harm does this exhaust pipe restriction do to my turbocharged 3 cylinder diesel? The only reason I found that it was bent was doing my usual walk around inspection while I was taking a break. I had no idea it was bent.

Bob

DSC01198.JPG

DSC01200.JPG

/ Bent exhaust pipe! #2  
Bob

If I can see right that bend looks tiny. I wouldn't worry about it. If you have a significient flow restriction it will cut down on turbocharger boost.

Could you give us a better idea as to what % you think the pipe is blocked.

Andy

/ Bent exhaust pipe!
AndyMA said:
Bob

Could you give us a better idea as to what % you think the pipe is blocked.

Andy

I will look again in the am, my first guess is 40%.
Bob

/ Bent exhaust pipe!
AndyMA said:
Bob Could you give us a better idea as to what % you think the pipe is blocked.

Andy

Here is a picture of the bend in the exhaust pipe. Looks ugly to me, what do you think?

DSC01202.JPG

/ Bent exhaust pipe! #5  
maybe cut it off with a sawsall, and get a piece from a local muffler shop and weld it on, or replace the whole thing. Exhaust pipe is not too expensive. Once it's bent like that, it's not worth trying to straighten it, imho. My shop has pieces laying around that would be fine for that, and would be freebees to a regular customer that we liked or a couple of bucks to a walk in person.

/ Bent exhaust pipe! #6  
IMHO, needs fixin'. From the picture, it looks like way too much restriction in the exhaust flow - read "back pressure", burnt valves, etc.

Hmmm...wonder how pieces of scrap EMT conduit would work in that application...

/ Bent exhaust pipe! #7  
I agree that it needs a repair done to improve flow. My suggestions are: cut off 90 degree bend (damaged) about 2 inches on each side from that bend. Measure inside and outside diameters as best you can. Go to the local car parts place and pick up a 90 degree sweep that fits your pipe(preferably the 90 degree sweep would fit over your existing pipe). Now, IF you can weld, then weld it. If you can't weld; then purchase flat exhaust-style band clamps that wrap around that diameter of pipe and turn its "clamp" to an area that would miss the heat shield and tighten. These types of band clamps are used on semi-trucks exhaust everywhere(usually 5 inch diameter), but I have purchased small ones for use on my Chevy 454 dually also (they were found at a high quality exhaust shop). I'm sure a good parts store could order them for you. I mention band clamps, because they shouldn't interfere with that heat shield like a U-bolt style clamp might. Just a thought or two. Note: Once you get the new 90 degree sweep home, you may have cut one or both of your pipes a little more to get the proper fit.

/ Bent exhaust pipe! #8  
That's not good especially with a turbo engine. Take it off and then to a muffler shop. It will be quick easy fix.

/ Bent exhaust pipe! #9  
Bob cut it off just before the 90 degree bend and take the piece with you to a local muffler shop. I would weld the new piece in place so you need not deal with a muffler clamp at that point. I'm sure you can straighten the shield with a hammer.

Then my advice would be to stay away from those tree stumps. :eek:

/ Bent exhaust pipe! #10  
I am in the muffler shop crowd as well.

I would be suprised if it was over $30, and it would be perfect.