Pay for work not done? part two

/ Pay for work not done? part two #1  

Doc_Bob

Elite Member
Tractor
2003 NH TN70A
Old thread Pay for work not done?

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/parts-repairs/85083-pay-work-not-done.html?highlight=work

I stopped payment for work done on my tractor by a dealer in Texas. The only thing I thought the dealer had done successfully was swap a vertical exhaust for a horizontal exhaust. Boy was I wrong!

I bent the exhaust pipe (http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/parts-repairs/89886-bent-exhaust-pipe.html) I assumed that it was my entire fault. I am new to tractors, and I assumed while bush hogging, I snagged a small stump which bent the exhaust pipe. I logged onto www.messicks.com and looked up the exhaust pipe to order it. I called Messicks to confirm that I had the right part. One thing I noticed was that I had a bracket that supported the horizontal part of the exhaust, but I could not find this bracket on www.messicks.com website. In fact, there was no bracket required by the engineers at NH. The dealer in Texas fabricated the 4 inch bracket to get the horizontal exhaust to fit on the tractor. So, I originally thought NH had designed a crummy system for the horizontal exhaust which resulted in the exhaust pipe being snagged and bent. Nope, was not that way at all. It was the Texas dealer who lowered the horizontal exhaust 4 inches closer to the ground which set this story in motion. The horizontal exhaust should have been secured directly to the left side step, up out of harms way. Instead, do to the Texas dealer making a (cobbling??) the 4 inch extension, the tip of the exhaust was in harms way (4 inches closer to the ground), with a bent exhaust being the result. Here are some photos. You can see the home made bracket lowering the tip of the exhaust 4 inches closer to the ground and then you have a picture of the bracket, with holes drilled crudely into the bracket. Cripes! The end result is that the dealer did nothing as promised. NOTHING!!! And to think I felt bad for stopping payment.

DSC01215.JPG

DSC01214.JPG

/ Pay for work not done? part two #2  
Hey Bob -

Hopefully there is nothing more that the dealer in Texas goofed up. Be glad in knowing that there is a good dealer somewhat nearby, and you won't have to deal with the Texas dealer anymore.

/ Pay for work not done? part two
onsight said:
Hey Bob -

Hopefully there is nothing more that the dealer in Texas goofed up. Be glad in knowing that there is a good dealer somewhat nearby, and you won't have to deal with the Texas dealer anymore.

I hope you are right! Can you imagine, they could not even mount the exhaust pipe correctly???
Bob

/ Pay for work not done? part two #4  
Doc_Bob said:
I hope you are right! Can you imagine, they could not even mount the exhaust pipe correctly???
Bob

Mount it right? It sounds like they couldn't even look up the correct parts for the conversion right!

Your story on this is illustrates why I try to do most all repairs myself!

jb

john_bud said:
Your story on this is illustrates why I try to do most all repairs myself!

jb

I agree it is best to do the work yourself. I have learned quite abit. Not all dealers are created equal. The folks in Whitewater, WI have done a fine job so far. But they work with AG primarily, so that is one thing I learned. If you have an AG tractor, go to an AG dealer.

Bob

/ Pay for work not done? part two #6  
Bob looking at your pictures there seems to be rust on your rig, what's up with that? This is a no-rust forum Bob, if you have rust you can't post, no-sir-re-bob.

New Holland makes paint for those TNs too you know. ;)

/ Pay for work not done? part two #7  
Is it just me or is it hard to find people that can do good work. Sorry about your exhaust it seems like you have the same luck as me.

PineRidge said:
Bob looking at your pictures there seems to be rust on your rig, what's up with that? This is a no-rust forum Bob, if you have rust you can't post, no-sir-re-bob.

New Holland makes paint for those TNs too you know. ;)

Rust? I don't have rust! My paint is tight :D . Seriously, no rust except on the crummy little 4 inch bracket they made.
Bob

/ Pay for work not done? part two #9  
Doc,
That little 4" bracket is important. It is a rust magnet designed to attract rust so the rest of your tractor doesn't. Isn't that what the guys who installed it told you? Of course, forgetting to paint it NH blue helps too.:)

/ Pay for work not done? part two #10  
Doc_Bob said:
Rust? I don't have rust! My paint is tight :D . Seriously, no rust except on the crummy little 4 inch bracket they made.
Bob

Im the sort that would take a check..for the proper amount..made out to this dealer...and cut it up into small pieces... Mail the pieces to the dealer along with a short note and prints of these pics... With the exclaimation of " And you wonder why you didnt get paid".....:)