shear pins

/ shear pins #1  

rcb142

Tractor
LH2030h
Can someone tell me the best source for shear pins for a king kutter rough cut mower? I would like to purchase a box and keep in the shed....

Thanks,

/ shear pins #2  
If you have a local TSC store you could try there. They sell King Kutter mowers and can probably get replacement parts.

/ shear pins #3  
I don't know if it’s the best source but Tractor Supply Company has them in a blister pack of four or five – can’t remember exactly - for only a few bucks. I go through a pack or two a season (yes, I’m a little hard on that pin).

They’re in the back of the store beside the PTO shafts and rack components.

/ shear pins #4  
Ditto what farmgeek said.. TSC sells blisters of shear pin hardware... However.. for less money.. you can grab a handfull of bolts out of the bulk grade 2 hardware bin.

Soundguy

/ shear pins #5  
I'm with Soundguy on this. Grade 2 bolts are my shear pin of choice. They are hard enough for normal work conditions and soft enough to protect the gearbox.

/ shear pins #6  
I'm with you and Soundguy also on this. Just buy 4" x 1/2" dia. grade 2 (no marks on the bolt head) and some cheap nuts. Put the bolts through the hole and run the nuts all the way down. Next, squeeze the threads sticking out of the nut with vise-grips or channel lock pliers. That will damage the threads enough that the nut will not back off. There's no need to buy expensive aircraft locking nuts with the insert. I keep a dozen spare bolts and carry two or three with me on my tractor.