Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Elite Member
    Advertiser
    Tractor
    Mahindra 7520, Mahindra 3215HST, Case 580 extendahoe, Case 310 dozer, Parsons trencher, Cat D6,

Default Re: Pressure Washer Repair

Westbrooklawn, I never even thought to return it. If I had I would now have a 2650 psi washer that Costco now sells. Hmmm, maybe I will return mine anyway and get a new and better one.

Thanks for the idea.
    Brian
    Top and Tilt Kits by Fit Rite Hydraulics

Tractor
    Push mower, Snapper 21" 6 shovels, 2 rakes, a pick, 2 pinch bars, a post hole digger (two handle type) and 2 wheel barrows that handle like a Porsche.

Quote Originally Posted by CATMAN
    Good subject, I just got back from my Dad's farm for harvest last month and the pressure washer us kids had purchased for him wouldn't work.(no water out the tip=nothing) Only one year old. Northern Hydraulics Honda 13 hp gas w/ CAT pump. There are 6 one-way check-valves on this pump(3 before the pistons; 3 after the pistons). I found the 3 "after the pistons" stuck shut with the smallest amount of rust, but they look like stainless steel circular disc. After removal, I had to push pretty darn hard to free those discs from their seat area. It works now, But I was wondering about a lube and/or preventive measure that we could do before it goes to the basement this winter. Your ideas or that Sears lube may be just what we need. Thanks
    I've had two of the very pumps you describe. They are quite franckly, crap. I will not own another CAT pump. Between new seals ($145) for the set on all 3 pistons, new valves and head, I give up. The pump probably works fine on pure virgin non mineral, ultra pure water with inhibitor, but thats not my setup, I'm back to General Pumps and love them. I can't comment on the little pumps here as the volume would be much to low to address my needs. Suffice it to say, I have yet to have an unloader go bad, but then, my unloader costs about the same as the whole Karcher unit.

Tractor
    Kubota L3830GST

Quote Originally Posted by _RaT_
    I've had two of the very pumps you describe. They are quite franckly, crap. I will not own another CAT pump. Between new seals ($145) for the set on all 3 pistons, new valves and head, I give up. The pump probably works fine on pure virgin non mineral, ultra pure water with inhibitor, but thats not my setup, I'm back to General Pumps and love them. I can't comment on the little pumps here as the volume would be much to low to address my needs. Suffice it to say, I have yet to have an unloader go bad, but then, my unloader costs about the same as the whole Karcher unit.
    Like most manufacturers, CAT makes various quality pumps. Their top of the line pumps are the best in the business, preferred overwhelmingly by professional pw operators in Florida where they use their units all day, every day. General makes some good pumps, as does AR, but they all make some low price pumps for homeowner use, which averages only about 10 hours per year.
    All things in moderation!

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    2003 BX2200

I just finished a similar saga with a cambell hausfield 1300psi power washer. It would work, but once you released the trigger, the unloader valve would shut it off, then it would take 20 minutes with the trigger squeezed before it would start up again. What a PITA!

Mine is 6 yrs old, and we have hard water, so I figured it was toast. I had a lot of trouble getting into the case, and the unloader valve was clear at the bottom--not accessible without complete disassembly.

And of course, while removing the microswitch, the plastic tangs on the plunger broke off, rending it useless as is.

I got the plunger out, and discovered that on mine, if I remove the pressure hose, it will allow access to the front of the plunger, so it could be pushed out that way.

To use the PW over the weekend, I reassembled the unit with the unloader valve installed, but not hooked up. I zip lined the trigger open. Worked fine.

I chased the parts places and found a local electrical house that can get parts, so I have a $30 new unloader kit coming.

To facilitate re-installation, I took my drill and 2" holesaw and made an access hole in the case so I can change out the valve without the total disassembly when it comes in.

Hope this helps.
    ron

Tractor
    Push mower, Snapper 21" 6 shovels, 2 rakes, a pick, 2 pinch bars, a post hole digger (two handle type) and 2 wheel barrows that handle like a Porsche.

Quote Originally Posted by tracecom
    Like most manufacturers, CAT makes various quality pumps. Their top of the line pumps are the best in the business, preferred overwhelmingly by professional pw operators in Florida where they use their units all day, every day. General makes some good pumps, as does AR, but they all make some low price pumps for homeowner use, which averages only about 10 hours per year.

I realize there are different quality of pumps within the same brand, the CAT pumps I had were both their high quality designs for the pressure/volume I needed. Both have been replaced by what I consider a far superior head design over the CAT design. The componets for General are also considerably cheaper. It would appear that water that is slightly acidic is very detrimental to CAT where it has virtually no effect on General.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Dad's=JD4440;IH1066;JD4020;JD3010;2 JD"B" 1949 & 1937(hand-crank)

Thanks RaT for your experiences. I was the one who decided on this model for my Dad. I figured to spend a little more and hopefully get more reliability out of the purchase.(On sale @$999 plus shipping) Well, I will just have to hope it doesn't cause too much trouble. This is on a Iowa farm with well water going into it, but it really is overkill for the amount of use he will put on it. I did turn down the pressure from 4000 to 2800 psi with a medium fan spray nozzle in the wand. It runs at about 2000 psi with the large angle fan nozzle(40 degree, I think). That works well for cleaning tractors and getting the mud off the wagons this year(wet harvest this year). Next summer, he plans to knock the loose paint of the garage and repaint.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Dad's=JD4440;IH1066;JD4020;JD3010;2 JD"B" 1949 & 1937(hand-crank)

RaT, I just noticed that you're in California. Mechanics we have hired that came form the LA area, really said that water down there did a number on the Caterpillar engines and their cooling systems that we work on. Eats thru aluminum, then those particles contaminate the radiator and plug it and cause overheating problems. I grew up on Iowa water, so it must be better. Ha Ha . Thanks again for your input.

Epic Contributor
    R.I.P.
    Tractor
    NHTC45D, NH LB75B, Ford Jubilee

Quote Originally Posted by _RaT_
    I'm back to General Pumps and love them.
    If my pump ever quits again, I'll go to a General pump. I think everyone I've talked to says that Generals are good pumps and their complete rebuild kit is just over $50. That's the 5.5 gpm model.
    Jim

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by jinman
    If my pump ever quits again, I'll go to a General pump. I think everyone I've talked to says that Generals are good pumps and their complete rebuild kit is just over $50. That's the 5.5 gpm model.
    Oooh, the 5.5 GPM, you know how to buy a pump. I wish mine had that much flow.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12