Spray-on protective grease for hyd cyl rods

/ Spray-on protective grease for hyd cyl rods #11  
Gradall used a product called bo-shield for a while not sure where to find it now though it worked quite well.

/ Spray-on protective grease for hyd cyl rods #12  
A lot of difference in the two naptha/wd-40 for protecting metal covered up from the elements.

/ Spray-on protective grease for hyd cyl rods #13  
texbaylea said:
For the present I have to leave my tractor outside plus I am thinking about buying a backhoe that will be stored outside. Has anyone found a spray-on protective compound for exposed hydraulic cylinder rods that does not require removal before next use of the equipment?

I am looking for something to use that is easier and less messy than painting a heavy grease on the rods.

Vernon

I just started using the spray on lithium grease. It sprays out a tube like wd-40...not very messy at all. I figure in the spring I will wipe it off before I use the backhoe.

/ Spray-on protective grease for hyd cyl rods #16  
greenedeere said:
A lot of difference in the two naptha/wd-40 for protecting metal covered up from the elements.

Not really... just hours difference in evap times.

While the naptha will evap in minutes.. the wd-40 may take a day or two... Neither of those products souds good for any long term metal protection.

Vasolene or baby oil would be a better choice, given the option of the other two.. etc.

Spray some wd-40 on a paper towell and hang it up outside. Check it every day. You will have a dry paper towel in a week or less.

Now do the same with grease, or engine oil, or vasolene, or mineral oil.

At the end of the week.. ya still got a oily/greasy rag.

Soundguy

/ Spray-on protective grease for hyd cyl rods
Thanks for all the replies. It looks like there may not be a perfect solution. I agree with Soundguy about WD-40 - I only use it for water displacement. Most of the products mentioned have parafinic oils as a base. Not sure how that would mix with the SUDT I use in my Kubota.

I will look into the spray-on lithium grease, it depends on what is in the carrier.

Vernon

/ Spray-on protective grease for hyd cyl rods #18  
Keep in mind that your wips should push most stuff on the piston off.. same with the seals and packing. Unless you had something that hasd a good solvent init.. it probably won't make it into the sump.

Soundguy

/ Spray-on protective grease for hyd cyl rods #19  
Dieselpower already mentioned wirerope lubricant, that stuff works even under water!! that would be my first choice, and its easy to wipe off with mineral spirits.

WD40 is just mineral oil & kerosene mixed:eek: It will last about 3 days max

/ Spray-on protective grease for hyd cyl rods #20  
What is WD-40 good for? I inherited a couple dozen half-full cans and still haven't discovered an application for it.

I apply it as I rewind the cable into a drain cleaning machine that is used only 1 -2 times/year, but I can't think of any other application.

Likewise Liquid Wrench. I have found that the competing products work a lot better so I have several cans to get rid of.

Any suggestions?