Straighten gauge wheel

/ Straighten gauge wheel #1  

deereman64

Silver Member
I must have reversed into something with my KK yard rake as its dragging one of the gauge wheels like Quasimodo's foot. I spoke to the TSC store and they said "straighten the shaft" How would I do that?

/ Straighten gauge wheel #2  
The easiest way would be to put it in a press and push in the opposite direction that it was bent. If you don't have a press, and your aim with a hammer is good, you might be able to straighten it that way. If you don't feel comfortable doing that, then take it to a machine shop and have them straighten it for you. Depending on where you take it, it will cost from nothing to a half hours labor charge. Not a big project with the right equipment.
Dusty

/ Straighten gauge wheel #3  
Any pics? Are you sure it's the shaft that is bent and not the bracket/tube assembly? I'm not insinuating that you don't know what your posting about, I just don't understand from your post.

/ Straighten gauge wheel
Spent this morning going from motor shop to machine shop. Nobody was prepared to admit they had a press. Then I had the idea of going to the local highway dept."let me ask the boss" " no problem" .The shaft is now straight as an arrow.

Up to this point I have been a little worried if the land rake was going to be any use, but this afternoon, with guage wheels removed I was deep in the undergrowth removing large swathes of brambles etc.

A good day .. faith in humanity restored and the start on the "BIG" project begun. Happy Thanksgiving... since Ive been here its always been my favourite holiday.

/ Straighten gauge wheel #5  
The people at the town barn have a way to fix just about anything. They will even pull you out of a snow bank and thank you for letting them help. :D