Hex Nut Markings

/ Hex Nut Markings #11  
Not sure.
One triangle is the ID for a Canadian manufacturer.....I just looked through my world list of headmarkings and didn't come across a double triangle.
It's not any known Grade marking that I'm aware of.
I also see 3 lines on the face...are they really as drawn or do they match the curve of the ID?

/ Hex Nut Markings
They match the curve I just could not draw them that way.

/ Hex Nut Markings
Sorry Diesel Power I was refering to Gordon21's site it was only a few pages long. Yours was extensive. I was impressed. I am sure from looking at the two references that you gave me that it is a manufatures mark. Probably some off shore place as everything else is made in some other country. The wheels are from Brazil, tires are who knows chinese. The axels are dexter and they just say 1/2 x 20 for the studs. I am just going to replace them all as I take wheels off for repairs. I already had two flats so it will not be long. Gordon21 well I would take it back to the dealer but this is Arizona high desert it is 13 miles of dirt road and than another 125 miles to the dealer. I am not going to haul it 250 miles just to have some guy say "thems the ones that come on them all." They very well may be designed to be interference fit. It is just a pain to have to wrench 8 of them all the way off and on.

/ Hex Nut Markings #14  
Jimbrown said:
... It is either that or the factory put 17mm nuts on a 1/2 in lug. This is kinda what I suspect also. Because when I take a regular 1/2 X 20 lug I can just screw it on with my fingers.

If the male threads are 1/2x20 the nuts aren't metric, and certainly not 17mm.

Most likely what you have is an 1/2 SL nut where the self locking feature is obtained by intentionally deforming the threads to obtain a slight interference fit.

Standard metric threads jump from 16 to 18mm and that size nut (.630 to .709 nom. dia) would fall off a 1/2" (.500) stud. The closest metric nut to that size would be a 12 mm (.472) which would be too small to fit. The next larger standard size, a coarse thread 14 mm (.551) with 2.00 mm pitch, might have a minor diameter small enough to engage the threads, but the pitch would be the equivalent of 12.7 tpi. So even if it were a 14 mm nut, and you did manage to wrench it on and off a 1/2x20 stud, either the stud or the nut would be damaged by the attempt.

/ Hex Nut Markings
I guess you are correct. I called the factory they did not have clue what I was talking about so I guess they may indeed be interference fit. I am going to change them all anyway. last thing I want is to be on the side of the road in 100 degree heat twisting 8 of them all the way off and on with two horses stomping all over the place.

/ Hex Nut Markings #16  
Sounds like someone needs a 1/2 inch cordless impact wrench for christmas. :)

/ Hex Nut Markings #17  
Jimbrown said:
I guess you are correct. I called the factory they did not have clue what I was talking about so I guess they may indeed be interference fit. I am going to change them all anyway. last thing I want is to be on the side of the road in 100 degree heat twisting 8 of them all the way off and on with two horses stomping all over the place.

Just a thought , change 6 Nuts out with Standard Threads, but keep 2 of the Interference fit nuts opposite each other as a Saftey Factor. Just in case in a MILLION years they work loose, you will still have 2 Nuts holding the wheel tight.

Doing that could keep those Two Horses from FLYING for a few seconds, and the tow vehicle ending up not telling were. If you do have a Flat, spin those 2 nuts off first before jacking the wheel up.

Just My .02

/ Hex Nut Markings #18  
I`ve came across those same type nuts before.The triangles indeed are signs of a type of locking or as some of ya`ll are calling them interference fit. They are a pain to get off but never have to worry about one working loose.