Hex Nut Markings

/ Hex Nut Markings #1  

Jimbrown

Veteran Member
Tractor
KIOTI LK30
I have searched high and low to find the markings on a nut that I have.
i can identify the the meaning of the three slash marks. Grade c high carbon resitant to elements. But what the heck does the marking with the two triangles mean? Anyone know. see attached drawing.

Attachments

• nut.jpg
    nut.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 4,648
   / Hex Nut Markings #2  
You are correct about the grade mark. The other marking's are most likely the manufacturer's mark. Many nut/bolt manufacturers also mark all their hardware with a mark not unlike you find on gold and silver jewlery that has "hallmark's". I have a book around here somewhere that has alot of the manufacturers marks in it. I'll try to see if I can find it and look up the mark for you.

/ Hex Nut Markings #4  
Those are still ASTM/SAE marking's though and not manufacturers marking's.

/ Hex Nut Markings #6  
There are thousands of head marking's. Here is a very small 162 page listing of some of the different manufacturers head marking's. This list only covers some of the ones you might run across. http://www.dot.state.il.us/materials/fasteneridentificationguide.pdf

The triangle is found on Vermont manufacturing bolts and nuts. They normally use a single triangle though. Could be thiers though.

/ Hex Nut Markings
Those are BOLT markings and I can find all kinds of them in great detail. However none of the charts you show have NUT markings. Nut markings seem to be some great secret. I believe that the two triangles mean self locking but I can not find anything that verifies that. This site here is one of the better ones and has the slash marks but not the triangles.
American Fastener - ASTM, SAE, and ISO Grade Markings

The reasonI was asking was because they are on the lug nuts that came on my new horse trailer. But they seem to be the wrong size or they have some sort of self locking on them. They will not just screw on and off like a normal lug nut does. You have to use a wrench all they way on and off. It is either that or the factory put 17mm nuts on a 1/2 in lug. This is kinda what I suspect also. Because when I take a regular 1/2 X 20 lug I can just screw it on with my fingers.

/ Hex Nut Markings #8  
If I remember correctly,Those have a interrupted fit, a slight squeeze or miss fit to not let them fall off if they come loose, kind of like a lock nut but not as much so, just a safety factor. John

/ Hex Nut Markings #9  
Jimbrown said:
Those are BOLT markings and I can find all kinds of them in great detail. However none of the charts you show have NUT markings. Nut markings seem to be some great secret. I believe that the two triangles mean self locking but I can not find anything that verifies that. This site here is one of the better ones and has the slash marks but not the triangles.
American Fastener - ASTM, SAE, and ISO Grade Markings

The reasonI was asking was because they are on the lug nuts that came on my new horse trailer. But they seem to be the wrong size or they have some sort of self locking on them. They will not just screw on and off like a normal lug nut does. You have to use a wrench all they way on and off. It is either that or the factory put 17mm nuts on a 1/2 in lug. This is kinda what I suspect also. Because when I take a regular 1/2 X 20 lug I can just screw it on with my fingers.

Did you actually look at the IL state PDF link? It has hundreds if not a thousand NUT marking's. They start on page 82 and continue to page 162.

You can also check the US Patent Office Fastener Insignias Register. http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/tac/fqa/active.pdf

/ Hex Nut Markings #10  
A new horse trailer?? I would be going back to the dealer ASAP and demanding an explanation. Neither he nor the mfgr will want to honor a claim for new hubs in 3 years when you claim it was screwed up from day one. Look at another trailer on his lot to see if the nuts are the same and try to take one off. Lug nuts are kinda important when doing 70MPH with a couple horses in the back.......