batwing question?

/ batwing question? #1  

bamatoolmaker

Silver Member
Tractor
kubota 3130
My neighbor asked me if I might know what is wrong with his Bush Hog.It is a batwing style mower pulled by a big JD.When he raises the two out side mowers to get through the gate.They will not return to the horizontal position.He has been using his truck and a chain to pull them back level.Now I know he is going to end up breaking something using this method.Any suggestions you all might have for me to pass along will be appreciated.

/ batwing question? #2  
Sounds like symtom of a hydraulic qwik-connect not fully seated.

/ batwing question? #3  
bamatoolmaker said:
My neighbor asked me if I might know what is wrong with his Bush Hog.It is a batwing style mower pulled by a big JD.When he raises the two out side mowers to get through the gate.They will not return to the horizontal position.He has been using his truck and a chain to pull them back level.Now I know he is going to end up breaking something using this method.Any suggestions you all might have for me to pass along will be appreciated.

3 possibilities come to mind.

Check the hyd qd's as the other poster stated.. make sure they mate good.

1 If the wings are up.. you can take a wrench to a fitting and start to open it.. if oil shoots out and the wing starts to drop... you know it is not getting oil past the qd's.. or else his remote valving is not diverting to tank properly.

2 Check for binding at the sliding pto side shafts. When i got my well used JD 1517 batwing, the left side telescoping shaft had surface rust on it... I like to never got it to telescope. I finally had to pul the shaft apart.. hit it with emory paper and a wire cup till it was shiny.. then washed down with mineral spirits.. greased and put back together... Works fairly smoothly as it should now. ( A twisted pto shaft will also bind!!! )

3 Check the wing hinges. Again.. mine stopped raising smoothly.. wing looked 'bound up' when raised... Inspection showed that the front of the 3 part hinge broke.. pin slipped, and all the weight was on the back hinge.
I had to lower the wing, and gett he mower and wing up on cribbing and jack stands to get it at even height and supported, beat the pin out.. straighten it.. beat it back in, weld the old tube hinge back on.. and then reinforce the welded hinge tube with a piece of round stock on either side of it.... paint and grease it up, and it is working good now.

Probably one more mowing session and I'd have lost the wing...

good luck..

Soundguy

/ batwing question? #4  
IMHO they guy probably has a single action cylinder , and it is not hooked up correctly.

/ batwing question? #5  
If he has single hyd. line cyls. make sure the other outlet in the cyl. has a VENT PLUG, not just a plug, and the vent hole is clear.

/ batwing question? #6  
If it is a factory setup.. that was working.. then the SA cyl would be fine as long as hooke dup the same way... Power up, gravity down.

it sounds like the oil can't exhaust ( bad QD, SPOOL.. etc. ) or there is binding...

Soundguy

/ batwing question? #7  
Yes Soundguy, but my point is, did it ever work on that tractor ? Has the lines been reworked, etc....
Ben

/ batwing question? #8  
Wish the original poster would post back after asking questions and getting answers that need further details..

Soundguy

/ batwing question? #9  
On some older John Deere tractors like my 4230, there is a manual bypass valve that needs to be opened to allow a single acting cylinder to lower. It is on the left side of the tractor down by the hydraulic filter. Remove the cap, unscrew the valve 5 turns and replace the cap making sure the valve does not turn when screwing the cap back on. It is in the operators manual.

/ batwing question?
Sorry folks I have been offline for a couple of days.I will not see the guy till sunday.I do know that all equipment was bought new about 8-10 years ago.He also said that the local dealer claims that it is a problem with the Bush Hog brand mowers that happens on occasion.Its supposed to be in the 70's here this weekend and I'll try to go see for myself what the man is actually talking about.He is 87 years old and still trying to work his 400 acre cattle farm.I thank you all for your advice and will answer your posts when I know more. Thanks again.

Scott