wrong tool used / fess up

/ wrong tool used / fess up #11  
Mac laptop needs to be sometimes restarted by pulling the battery. It is under a lock for a coin, since I am very lazy person, I use my thumbnail instead.

/ wrong tool used / fess up #12  
czechsonofagun said:
Mac laptop needs to be sometimes restarted by pulling the battery. It is under a lock for a coin, since I am very lazy person, I use my thumbnail instead.
What Macs lock up too!!!

/ wrong tool used / fess up #13  
My worst all-time "wrong tool" story is using my body in place of a clamp.

I was using a 3/4" wood auger, about 12" long and need to drill a hole into the end of a 4x6. Directly down the length of the beam.

So, I set one end of the beam on a sawhorse, straddled it, sat down and started drilling. I had the auger chucked in a 1/2" Hitachi drill.

Well, when I pulled the trigger, it locked, and because I was in a awkward position, I didn't get the auger exactly straight, so it hung up for a second, and the torque pulled the drill out of my hands.

There it was, locked on, spinning, with that nice sharp auger aimed directly at my hoo-hoo, and about 2" away.

Fortunately, the spinning drill wrapped the cord around its body, and when it got to the end of the cord, jerked it out of the wall socket. A very timely tool failure.

/ wrong tool used / fess up #15  
Does this include using an acetylene torch to light the pilot light on my shops gas furnace? (Didn't have to wait long for the thermocouple to warm up!) Yeah, I know.....BOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!

Back when I used to race dirt bikes, my nickname was clawhammer. Not too far flung for a guy who was a carpenter through the week. But the name came from my tendency to "fix" everything with a hammer. And the clawhammer was always handy. I can't begin to count how many bent brake levers, chain guides, and frame parts I've straightened with that trusty old wooden handled Bluegrass 16 oz claw hammer.

/ wrong tool used / fess up
I know a guy that smoked cigars that would always light them with his torch..

As for the clawhammer deal... I believe the old saying goes:

"When all you have is a hammer.. all your problems start looking like nails"

Soundguy

Farmwithjunk said:
Does this include using an acetylene torch to light the pilot light on my shops gas furnace? (Didn't have to wait long for the thermocouple to warm up!) Yeah, I know.....BOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!

Back when I used to race dirt bikes, my nickname was clawhammer. Not too far flung for a guy who was a carpenter through the week. But the name came from my tendency to "fix" everything with a hammer. And the clawhammer was always handy. I can't begin to count how many bent brake levers, chain guides, and frame parts I've straightened with that trusty old wooden handled Bluegrass 16 oz claw hammer.

/ wrong tool used / fess up #17  
Does your "trusty old wooden handled Bluegrass 16 oz claw hammer play music?:D :D :D

/ wrong tool used / fess up #18  
Ozzie..... around these parts, the gas torch is more commonly known as the "hot wrench".:D

/ wrong tool used / fess up #19  
First of all let me apologize for the length that this post is likely to be, but I think you will find the story most entertaining if can put into print a story that is better spoken.

I spent the summer of 99 working for a custom cutter. We were moving the combines from Nebraska to Monte Vista Colorado for for barley harvest. When we got to Colorado Springs we noticed a problem with the T600 Kenworth my boss was driving. I don't know the name of the broken part, but the two drive axles actually would "walk" into each other meaning the tires were rubbing when he cornered. We pulled all the equipment into a big open lot on a slight grade to make the repairs. This truck happens to have a R62 Gleaner loaded on the front trailer with the Grain pup hooked to the back of the combine trailer. To reallign the axles we had to release the tractor brakes so they would roll. As the boss is laying on the ground between the axles, he asks his teenage son to release the truck brakes. This should have been fine except the Bret did not set the trailer brakes. Remember the incline. As Chris releases the brakes on the truck... she starts to roll... knowing Bret and the tools are underneath I think fast and insert the first wheel chock I can find. My foot. It didn't work. Truck with combine and pup rolls right onto my foot... and that's when Chris reset the brakes as he figured out what was happening. The funny thing was that it really didn't hurt. I calmly look at Bret and tell him I have a problem, the truck is on my foot. He goes "what?" I repeated myself. When Bret gets excited his voice gets REAL shrill. He starts freaking out, screaming for his wife, who was hanging out in the bunkhouse reading a book. After a minute she comes running. Bret is still screeching and she can't understand a word he is saying. I calmly explained that the truck was parked on my foot, so she ran over, jumped in the cab, started up the truck and pulled it forward. The hilarity of his yelling while I was calm as could be cannot really be typed. I can tell you though that a size 9 foot does NOT make a good wheel chock.

/ wrong tool used / fess up #20  
Dusty said:
Ozzie..... around these parts, the gas torch is more commonly known as the "hot wrench".:D

Around here they are called "Heat Wrench"