opinions needed on weld re-repair

/ opinions needed on weld re-repair #31  
See post #25, that's where he said it starts at edge and ends in bolt hole.

/ opinions needed on weld re-repair #32  
Thanks,[had all ready found it though],but every thing I said still applys,,,penatrant is the thing to use for exploring a cracks width and depth,and how to grind,etc.The holes was a side thing,seperate issue in repairing cracks in general. But thanks the same anyways,thingy

/ opinions needed on weld re-repair #33  
Now that the location of the crack has been determined, drilling isn't needed, unless one of the cracks crossed the hole and continued onward.
As far as drilling a piece of 1/2" steel is concerned, it shouldn't be a problem as long as he has access to the correct equipment. I am pretty sure he does, as long as he is willing to drive to Jax to use it. Drilling small pieces like 1/2" steel, or larger ones, like 6" steel bars isn't a problem if you have the right drillpress, or a substitute like a milling machine.
Soundguy is welcome to come to Jax anytime he needs some holes drilled or slotted in something bigger than he is equipped to handle. I think drilling a couple holes is well within my capabilities.
Good luck with the repair. If I were concerned about the weld, as you are, for good reason, I would probably cut the complete weld repair out and redo it instead of trying to just isolate the crack.
David from jax

/ opinions needed on weld re-repair #34  
Thats right,drilling isn't needed.And if you use p.t. it never is. But I'm thinking he oughta drill a few holes in it anyways just to be on the safe side,whata you all think? thingy

/ opinions needed on weld re-repair
I'm not sure what the point of drilling a hole would do for me.. the crack starts at an edge and goes to a bolt hole... I can't drill a hole in the middle of the bolt hole, or to the side of the edge. I can however cutout the old weld, prep and re-weld.. which is what i will be doing. Sandman, thanks for the offer. So far, my drill press should serve me for the small stuff.. so the 1/2" is no problem. ( thanks for the offer ).

I may start the welding as early as tuesday when my house quiet's down.

Anyone think a propane torch is enough preheat? or do i need to break out mapp or my small o/a bottles ?

I'm going to treat this like a cast steel repair .

Soundguy

/ opinions needed on weld re-repair #37  
soundguy,I would think just one of those small propane type torches,[one with the little bottle] would be enough,probably more than enough,,,heat it up for a while though so any oil in it will boil out,,just kidding about the hole drilling,heard so much about it and all......
Yes,p.t. is short for penatrant testing,,,good stuff to have when you are fixing cracks,[as I've tried to explain],,but,,,,,,
thingy

/ opinions needed on weld re-repair #38  
Just for the record, I have a case of those funny little cans out in my garage, just in case I ever want to go on a crack hunt.
David from jax

/ opinions needed on weld re-repair #39  
thingy said:
As far as to which process,,stick is the way to go or flux core,,not mig,,not saying you can't do it with mig,,its just if you don't do it right,,all your work will be in vain.

Thingy,

Can you explain the do's and don't along with the gotchas on the "not mig".

I just spent the day fixing cracks with my mig (Lincoln SP255), don't have a stick welder.

jb

/ opinions needed on weld re-repair #40  
Well,if you just spent the day fixing cracks with a short circuiting mig,,I shouldn't have to tell you the dos and don'ts,,,[if you fixed them],sounds like you might know as much or more than me about it.
Why don't you tell us some dos and don't when it comes to mig welding? Cause,there certainly are some dos and don'ts,,,and most of your backyard type wire burners,don't have a clue about them,or care,,,,,your turn,,,,thingy