Steering Problem- Is this really happening?

/ Steering Problem- Is this really happening? #1  

Champy

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 990
I recently drove my (brand new) JD990 down the county road for a few miles to our other property. As I was going straight most of the time, the steering wheel only needed a few nudges to keep me going in my lane. Heres the fun part...

...after 30 minutes the steering wheel had made about 1.5 total revolutions - while I was still going straight! It kept gradually creeping counterclockwise all the time - this is not a guess on my part because the spinner knob kept making its way around the dial as I went down the road. I thought it was a twilight zone moment......and expected at any time to have the wheel pop off or a linkage drop sending me into the ditch. Did the same thing on the way back home too - but never clockwise.

Steering is responsive; the steering wheel is not loose - any guesses on what is going on here. I am definitely calling the dealer tomorrow because this just doesn't seem right - right?

/ Steering Problem- Is this really happening? #2  
Your steering is hydraulic driven, there is no mechanical linkage from the steering wheel to the steering gear box like on your pickup/car, It is just the design for your tractor.
Not all tractors have this design. So there is nothing broke.

/ Steering Problem- Is this really happening? #3  
What your steering wheel is doing is normal for a tractor with hydraulic power steering.

/ Steering Problem- Is this really happening?
WOW! - Nothing broke! Talk about losing 10 lbs from worrying on the trip home......well I'm glad this is normal - for a tractor anyway.

Thanks for taking a load off my mind - and I also avoided looking stupid by causing a fuss with the Dealer - though now everyone on the TBN thinks I'm an idiot. :)

/ Steering Problem- Is this really happening? #5  
Champy said:
though now everyone on the TBN thinks I'm an idiot. :)

OH, I doubt that...
It is a new machine and you are just learning how it works... Nothing wrong with that.

/ Steering Problem- Is this really happening? #6  
Champy:

"Idiots" do not register with TBN ;). All of us have learning curves :eek:- Jay

/ Steering Problem- Is this really happening? #7  
Is your dealer here on TBN?? He may be thanking TBN for not having to take that phone call Monday...........

And there is no way you could be an idiot. You bought green.

/ Steering Problem- Is this really happening? #8  
now everyone on the TBN thinks I'm an idiot

But only because we've all been there, too.:D

/ Steering Problem- Is this really happening? #9  
jbrumberg said:
Champy:

"Idiots" do not register with TBN ;). All of us have learning curves :eek:- Jay

I have to chuckle. I had the same exact concern 6-7 years ago. Hydrostatic steering, wonderful thing, but it ain't like the steering on your car or truck!

jb

/ Steering Problem- Is this really happening? #10  
Welcome to the Twilight Zone, where the asylum is going to be taken over by the Hydrologist.:D