Platinum Member
    Tractor
    NH TC35D4

Default Bending steel back on a box scrapper

I made a slight mis-calculation on the location of a snow covered curb last week and bent the arm on the box scrapper that has the 3pt pin bilted to it. The pin wasn't even 1/8" out of alignment, but the impact bent the 3"x3/8" arm about 15 degrees out.
    I tried to take a long piece of pipe slipped over the pin and coax it back but just succeded in bending the pin.
    I don't think hitting it with a heavy mall would bent it back. I was thinking of wedgeing it against a tree and using the FEL to straighten it back.
    Would applying heat be for the better or worse?
    thanks
    gary

Tractor
    JD 1050, JD 955 MFD & Loader

Default Re: Bending steel back on a box scrapper

Just heat it up with a torch and bend it back into place. It's just mild steel.

Paul

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3710 HST and a Kubota ZD21 60Pro

Even with the heat you will probably have to pound on it. I slightly bent a plow mount a few years ago and was surprised how much pounding and heat it took to get it properly alighned, (out of spec by less than .5 inch).

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B7300

I was using my 5' box blade to grade an area for a 24' above ground pool. An hour into it I hit a point of a boulder that was just under turf level. Bent one of the arms and broke a weld as well as snapped the top link. Some heat from a torch to get the metal cherry red and a hew swings from a sledge hammer set everything back where it needed to be. Then I beefed up the two arms with some extra 3X3" angle iron. It's better than new.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    05 CASE IH D35 W/FEL

Gary, I also bent my box blade the same way, after hammering it back I bolted and welded a heavy piece of steel to the arm and also welded on a gussett. see arrows. I haven't bent it again.
    Attached Images Attached Images