welder for a novice??

/ welder for a novice?? #1  

j845125

I've been reading the various welding threads with a great deal of interest. When I need something welded I usually take it to someone, but am thinking I could do some of the smaller stuff myself. Years ago(probably 20) I had a couple tech school classes with a stick welder, don't remember much. I'd like your opinions on what kind of welder to get, and how to relearn. Thanks.

/ welder for a novice?? #2  
Morning j845125.
There many makes and models on the market now,kinda depending what your planing on welding....thickness & metals.

If you have the time maybe sign up for some classes,or get to know your local welder and help around the shop....protection..protection your body well thank you in years to come.

/ welder for a novice?? #3  
j845125 said:
I've been reading the various welding threads with a great deal of interest. When I need something welded I usually take it to someone, but am thinking I could do some of the smaller stuff myself. Years ago(probably 20) I had a couple tech school classes with a stick welder, don't remember much. I'd like your opinions on what kind of welder to get, and how to relearn. Thanks.

MAYBE..? I can help a tiny bit..?? Recently I bought a small wire fed welder a HH140..commonly referred to as a MIG welder..but MIG is a process. Ive tried several times over the years to try and arc weld..with a stick welder..and it aint gonna happen for me. I cant control the stick with the electrode holder that far away from the puddle.

At a 40th HS reunion this past summer I questioned a school buddy about welding and he told me that "If you cant learn to do a decent weld with a "MIG" welder...there's no hope for you"....lol. And he's right!!

I sign up next week for a class at the vocational school that begins first week of Feb..to get some REAL instructions as compared to my trial and error that Im doing presently ( all on practice pieces of steel ) They might look like **** but I cant beat the pieces apart with heavy hammering.

I waited 2 weeks to get 2 bucket hooks welded onto the bucket of my Kubota..and told myself that was enough.

And as Thomas stated..lots depends on WHAT and HOW THICK of material you are planning on doing NORMALLY

/ welder for a novice?? #4  
j845125 said:

Well ya can take another class to see which kind of welding process you want to do to see which kind of machine will fit your needs or ya can go out and buy a stick, mig, or tig machine and learn on your own.

The class maybe cheaper in the long run.

/ welder for a novice?? #5  
You can usually get into it for cheaper with a stick. I don't count the 120volt gasless migs because they have penetration problems. The cheap 220v sticks can weld 1/2" steel. The problem with the cheap migs are the welds look good but they are only on the surface. BUT with light gauge tubing (16-20 gauge). They are decent. Anything bigger and I wouldn't trust it. Remember the weld must mix with the metal..deeper the better, and looks is what a angle grinder is for!! :D

If you go with a stick, just turn the amps up at first to avoid sticking...as you get the hang of it you can turn it back down. If you go with a mig, spend the $500 or better on a good one.

Good Luck,
Rob

/ welder for a novice?? #6  
My wife suprised me this christmas I got a Miller DVI welder with a spoolgun. I have done some mig welding with our unit at the shop and have always wanted one. I can not wait until tomorrow so I can get to the welding shop and get a tank and then weld something. I dont really have a project going on at home at the moment but I will find something to do I am sure :)

/ welder for a novice?? #7  
j845125 said:

It depends on how much $$ you want to spend. Many folks learned on the Lincoln "tomb stone" stick welder. They were great 35 years ago and are still good today. There are advancements with welders that make arc starting easier, or that will let you do TIG welding with the same stick unit. In general, stick welders are the cheapest to get into. You need the welder, facemask, slag chipping hammer some good gloves, and a selection of rods and some air tight tubes to store them in. The local tech school showed me the use of stick -- a great investment in time! There is some skill involved in learning. I can honestly say that the supplies I consumed in tech school exceeded the cost of the class. So, while the equipment is the cheapest, the cost of becoming proficient is still there. Figure on 10-20 pounds of rod and lots and lots of steel.

A good mig welder is not in the $500 range. They are higher. As many folks said, the cheap flux wire migs and the 110v units are ok for sheet metal and fab up to 1/8", but they quickly run out of zip. Literally, my first one was a 135amp 110v unit. It worked great, until I started to get more skilled and organized. Then the miniscule duty cycle or service rating bit me. Run it for a minute and rest it for 10 minutes is ok if all you are doing is a tack here and there. Start using it and poof! No more sparks.

I upgraded from that to a Lincoln SP255 which is a 255amp max unit. That may be a bit much for you, but there are lots of other choices. I would recommend 150amp minimum, 240v power and a 35-50% duty cycle. Bare bones type prices for a decent mig is in the $1000-1500 range. Then you need to lease or buy a tank, wire in various diameters 0.023, 0.035 and 0.045. Larger wire, more penetration = thicker things you can weld.

Other things you will want/need as a learning welder.

1) 4" or 4 1/2" angle grinder. I have about worn out a B&D and am about to chuck my Milwaukee in the snit can. (Never buy a Milwaukee angle grinder -> pure junk. It heats up so hot you can't hold it in just a few minutes of use and has dip spit for torque. It was almost $200, the B&D was under $50 never gets hot and using the same 4" wire brushes has more power in use.)

2) Grinding discs. Lots and lots. They are the boo-boo erasers and the prep tools so you are welding on good clean metal.

3) Bench grinder. Good for prep'ing metal to weld. chamfering edges etc

4) 14" abrasive metal saw. Commonly called a chop saw.

5) Magnetic corner clamps. Real handy for holding things together while you tack them up.

You may want to visit the Lincoln, Hobart and Miller web sites. I think they all have discussion forums and you can ask the same Q's there.

jb

/ welder for a novice?? #8  
I (& many others )have posted on this subject b-4.I have both a wire (mig) & a stick. I use gas with my mig not flux core wire.I use the stick more than the mig. In the summer when I'am welding in my shop ( it gets hot welding) I have a fan on.With the fan on my gas for blows away. I don't have this problem with the stick & I can burn my 7018 with my stick machine for a stronger weld. I guess it's a matter of who you ask as to which machine is best.I would stick with name brand hobart ,lincoln,miller,etc

/ welder for a novice?? #9  
j845125 said:

I have always wanted to know how to weld. Two years ago my wife bought me an inexpensive 110 volt flux core wire feed unit from Tractor Supply. It is called the Farmhand, made by Campbell Hausfeld. It is a very forgiving system and I actually taught myself to weld with the help of a couple of books and advise from the fellow who runs the local welding shop. As stated in a few of the other posts the 110 volt unit doesn't have a long duty cycle especially on HIGH power, but I do most of my welding using LOW. If you are going to work primarily with 16 gauge to 1/8 inch material, the little inexpensive 110 volt units will make you happy. Look at the Miller, Hobart and Lincoln Websites. See what is available to you. You know how much you can afford and you know what kind of of welding you will be doing. Put that together with the information you are receiving from the TBN contributors and go for it. Look at my handle. It really is fun and you can do so much more when you can weld.

/ welder for a novice?? #10  
weldingisfun said:
I have always wanted to know how to weld. Two years ago my wife bought me an inexpensive 110 volt flux core wire feed unit from Tractor Supply. It is called the Farmhand, made by Campbell Hausfeld. It is a very forgiving system and I actually taught myself to weld with the help of a couple of books and advise from the fellow who runs the local welding shop. As stated in a few of the other posts the 110 volt unit doesn't have a long duty cycle especially on HIGH power, but I do most of my welding using LOW. If you are going to work primarily with 16 gauge to 1/8 inch material, the little inexpensive 110 volt units will make you happy. Look at the Miller, Hobart and Lincoln Websites. See what is available to you. You know how much you can afford and you know what kind of of welding you will be doing. Put that together with the information you are receiving from the TBN contributors and go for it. Look at my handle. It really is fun and you can do so much more when you can weld.

IM with ya completely! Lots of things enter into making the decision on a "first" welder. The old "billfold"...actual usage...and so on. Some speak of using flux cored wire like they had a blind date with a woman made from live FROGS...yet think nothing of using flux coated sticks? Dont make good sense to me at all. 20% duty cycle? So? Im not in the business and charging by the hour...nor do I even want anything around here thats a full 3/8 to 1/2 inch thiock steel.

A friend of mine said i should have taken the $300 the class is going to cost me added to the $450 I spent on my little HH140 and got a larger welder....and I said .."Why? So I could have a $750 welder I couldnt use?...lol"

If material and duty cycles EVER gets to be a boat anchor to me...I'll connvert the HH140 to MIG for sheet matel and buy something like a MM210...that can do 3/8 stock in a single pass and 1/2 metal in multiple passes and STILL use the flue core wire. I dont mind chipping slag away....ALL stick weldors have to do it....:)