Source for shock absorbers

/ Source for shock absorbers #1  

MChalkley

Elite Member
Tractor
EarthForce EF-5 mini-TLB (2001)
Does anyone know of a source for the type of "shock absorbers" that are used in seat suspensions? It's really a motion speed limiter, of course. There's no spring in it, just an orifice that slows the stroke movement. Some of them slow the stroke only in one direction, others in both directions. I have one in my seat that slows the extension stroke (when the seat is going back up) but not the compression stroke. I want one that will slow the stroke in both directions. Any ideas?

/ Source for shock absorbers #2  
Mark,How about the shocks that are on mountain bikes? Some are adjustable and have coil overs to them.

/ Source for shock absorbers #3  
MChalkley
Is there any way to restrict the exhaust of the existing cyl. on the compression stroke?
Mutt

/ Source for shock absorbers #4  
I had a seat a few years ago that had two and I reversed one. It worked well for me since the extension was strong and slow and reversing one gave it a good medium as well as dampening the compression.

/ Source for shock absorbers
Von - I think size would be a big issue there. This thing is 6 1/8" long (pin CTC) when retracted, with a stroke of 2 1/2". OD of the barrel is 1".

Mutt - No, it's all internal - a piston with a orifice in it, most likely. Just a cheapo job. Crimped end, poor construction. Can't take it apart without destroying it. Probably made in China, but even they were too embarassed by it to say. The way the thing sounds when I move it by hand, it would probably work ok if they had filled it up with oil - it's obviously got a lot of air in it, along with some oil. The air was free, of course.

cedarranch - The way this one is designed, reversing it wouldn't help - it would still be compressing. I thought about extending the pin so I could put two on it, but I'd still have to get another one, and I think it would be better just to get a decent one in the first place.

/ Source for shock absorbers #8  
Now that I think about it - it has been a fews years /w3tcompact/icons/tongue.gif - I did have to rig a bracket set to mount it to. Just flipping the cylinder does not work. If you want me to draw a diagram of what I did let me know. But I used two brackets to spread one cylinder while the other was being compressed. Guess I should have thought it thru a bit before typing. Does this mean I am getting old? /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif

/ Source for shock absorbers #9  
How about a pneumatic cylinder appropriately sized with one of <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.mscdirect.com/PDF.process?pdf=3666&Keyword=Y> these</A> at each end. Free flow in one direction, at each end of the cylinder. Tunable by cranking in more or less flow through the needle valve. Might not work, though, depending on space. If it needs to be preloaded, hook the output of the flow restrictors together, and add a bit of air through a schrader (tire) valve (I think this would work). You'll wind up with an external, double acting equivalent of what you have now. You spent $44k and don't like the seat? Sorry, everyone else has taken a pot shot, thought I might as well.

I found some shock absorbers at Mcmaster Carr, they have both compression and extension but not both. Seems like a simple requirement that oughta be easier to find.

Nick

/ Source for shock absorbers #10  
Mark;

Have you thought of a Mercedes (or other Euro car) motor mount hydraulic damper? They are about the dimensions you described to Von. I'm not sure of the stroke though. My 2 cents.

Sim