Cracked engine block!!!

/ Cracked engine block!!! #1  

jpbear

Tractor
NH TC40DA
I have a NH 1630 w/ FEL. I was using it today and saw some oil under it. After closer inspection I noticed that the block is cracked. Probably happened because of the front weights I put on (and never took off) when I skid logs using my rear grapple. All to bouncing cracked to engine supports that eventually cracked the block. I believe it can be welded. Does anyone have and experience in doing this? What type of wire or rod shoudl be used? If welding does not work is there a place to get a short block for this tractor?

Thanks,
Joe

Attachments

• New holland 1630 cracked block.jpg
    New holland 1630 cracked block.jpg
    222.9 KB · Views: 3,113
  • New holland 1630 cracked block 1.jpg
    New holland 1630 cracked block 1.jpg
    257.6 KB · Views: 1,678
  • New holland 1630 cracked block 2.jpg
    New holland 1630 cracked block 2.jpg
    227.5 KB · Views: 3,967
   / Cracked engine block!!! #2  
I would say that the engine will have to be stripped down to the bare block for the repair.Probably use a nickel rod for the repair.Unless you have the means to perform this repair ,I suggest you take the block to a machine shop. The block will have to be preped to stop the crack cause, if you just weld the crack up it will probably continue to crack beyond the weld. I think it can be repaired, but not for the novis welder & I don't know your experences in this area.Looks like that bracket broke & caused the crack. good luck

/ Cracked engine block!!! #3  
JB weld...

mark

/ Cracked engine block!!! #4  
I would look for a different block. That crack may go through an oil or water passage.The engine will have to be dissambled to see what is inside. If the repair fails your out the $ for all the gaskets and your time. If you do repair it every time you are getting ready to do some hard work you will be thinking about that crack, is it going to open back up.

/ Cracked engine block!!! #5  
Agree with majority of posters here. A cracked block is huge and you need someone who knows their way around welding to even begin a fix. If they are leery of it, look for a new block and/or have the dealer fix it.

Lot's of things can crack or go wrong on a tractor that you can patch up and do fine, but, the engine block isn't one of them.

/ Cracked engine block!!! #6  
Is it weldable, probably, the bracket will need to be removed to inspect the crack in the block under it. Will it last, it might, it might not. I have welded blocks that looked about like that before and they held up fine. The main thing is a good cleaning, disassembly, weld area preperation and proper welding technique. If you have never welded cast before this is not the place I would suggest you start practicing. Get a professional to do it.

/ Cracked engine block!!! #7  
"Gecmis Olsun" as we say in Turkish. :eek:

It looks like the place it first cracked was welded earlier (either during the production or after it, was it a second hand tractor?) :confused:

The crack itself doesn't look too "friendly", it will be very difficult (costly both time and money wise) to repair and there is absolutely no guarantee it will hold.

I would suggest you go through some junkyards or such to find an engine that would replace this. You have a rather small engine, so you would probably run into something that would suit your tractor like a glove. I'd suggest you check the local laws before changing the engine and see what permits would be required.

/ Cracked engine block!!! #8  
balper said:
"Gecmis Olsun" as we say in Turkish. :eek:

For those of us who don't speak Turkish, I googled this phrase and it seems to translate as "May this be over soon". It sounds like it is a common supportive phrase used in Turkish as a response to hearing of someone's misfortune or illness etc.

Unfortunately, it sounds like more than "Gecmis Olsun" will be needed to repair this engine. I don't know how it would translate into Turkish, but my response to jpbear would be "Bummer Dude!!".

Unless jpbear can do a lot of the work himself (short of the welding), I'd worry that the repair costs ($75/hr or so) would shoot up rapidly. If it were me I'd at least get a quote on a new or rebuilt engine before I even started on a repair (other than to take the engine out to get a better idea of the extent and location of the crack).

/ Cracked engine block!!! #9  
After you remove the bolts etc. the chances that some real damage may come to light.

Don't even think of a repair. The cost will probably be equal to a new block as complete disassembly will be required and even after the repair it may not be right.

Get a new block!:(

/ Cracked engine block!!!
Thanks for the replies. I would not weld it myself but I am sure some of my welders can handle it if I decide to go that route. Like some have said it may work or it may not. Lot of work to find out that it did not work. I will do all the work myself, except the welding. Does anyone have a lead on where to get a block, new or used? Rather not go to the dealer but I will if need be.

Joe