Starter Solenoid HELP!!!!

/ Starter Solenoid HELP!!!! #1  

F350

Silver Member
Tractor
Red
I removed my POS Lucas Starter Solenoid from my Mahindra 485DI tractor.
When I removed the soleniod the rear portion of the solenoid stayed in the housing next to the starter. There's a rod from the starter that is held to the end of the soleniod with a spring. I had some trouble removing the rod from the spring.

Now the hard part.....I can't get the new solenoid installed. The rod from the starter goes almost all the way across the opening the solenoid slides into.
I can see any way to move the rod the allow the new solenoid to go in. Not to mention trying to get the rod pinned to the end solenoid.

What am I doing worng or missing??? Help!!!!

/ Starter Solenoid HELP!!!!
I was thinking, are you supposed to remove the starter/solenoid together?
Then somehow change out the solenoid?

/ Starter Solenoid HELP!!!! #3  
They don't call Lucas the prince of darkness for nothing.

/ Starter Solenoid HELP!!!! #4  
Is the spring on the rod you describe, or is it on the solenoid part?
On mine, the rod that comes from the starter is a lever. When it's attached to the solenoid, that's what kicks the Bendix in when you turn the key.

On my solenoid, the spring is on it, not on the rod. There is a slotted piece (a bar) on the solenoid that the spring slides over. So when you pull the spring back, it captures or pinches the rod from the starter and holds it there... between the spring and the end of the solenoid rod. If yours is like that, you can slide the solenoid end over the starter rod until it "clicks" in. It takes a little pressure because you are pushing the spring back while pushing down to engage the rod. Then the rod and solenoid will be hooked together again.

Mr Rob, You described the situation perfectly..... I decided to save myself additional frustration, so I had a Auto Electric Company install the new solenoid for me.

Is there anthing to be aware of when I reinstall the starter? Any alignment issues with the starter drive and flywheel?

Any comments/advise would be appreciated.....

Thanks,

/ Starter Solenoid HELP!!!! #6  
Is there anthing to be aware of when I reinstall the starter? Any alignment issues with the starter drive and flywheel?

Not that I can think of.
Since the Bendix gear is not forward during the installation, it doesn't mesh with the flywheel until it's activated. Just be sure your mounting flange is clean ... both on the starter motor and the bell housing. Your starter motor should just bolt up and be done with it. Oh, and be sure your electrical connections are nice and clean too. I put a small amount of dielectric grease on them after they were bolted up.

PS
I know how you must have felt when you got the solenoid off, thinking "Oh my God, how does this thing go back on?"
I did the same thing.:)

/ Starter Solenoid HELP!!!! #7  
If I had a dime for every time I took something apart thinking ( OMG.. how am I gonna get this back together ..correctly ).. i could probably retire now.. (GRIN)

Thanks for the help guys. I really appreciate it.