B2400 won't start

/ B2400 won't start #1  

Anonymous Poster

B2400 won\'t start

I have a used B2400 and have had the first starting trouble since I traded for it. The battery checked out OK, and the connections seem to be good. Is there anything else I can check before I determine the starter is at fault? A local dealer quoted me $370 for a new one, so I want to make sure I need one before I have them place the order.

/ B2400 won't start #2  
Re: B2400 won\'t start

Rick, that's a tough question to answer without knowing just what and how you've checked so far. Battery OK? Does that mean 12.6 volts? Connections seem good? How many of them have you checked? Both ends of the battery cables? And sometimes they "look" good at the battery but have corrosion; need to remove, clean, and replace. What is it doing when you try to start it? Slow turning? Just a click? Nothing at all? Maybe a wire somewhere else loose or not making good contact? Have you considered the safety switches? PTO off, etc.? Have you checked voltage at the starter when someone tries to start it? Or the amperage draw? In other words, I don't know that I could be any help. And if it were me, before I ordered that new one, I'd take the old one off, have a look for visible damage, and then, in my area at least, there are some shops that could probably rebuild it a lot cheaper than that new one.

/ B2400 won't start #3  

Rick,

I just looked at my B7500 starter circuit and yours is probably similar.
The coil for the starter relay is powered from the main key switch. In series with the coil are three safety switches and the glow plugs. All of the safety switches must be closed or it will not start. The contacts on the relay provide power to the solenoid on the starter. The solenoid engages the starter gear and closes the contacts from the battery to the starter motor. If you have a voltmeter or a 12 volt light bulb, hang it on the solenoid terminal from the starter relay (other terminal to tractor structure) If you have 12 volts and don't here the solenoid click in, then it's the solenoid. If you do hear it click in then its the starter motor or solenoid contacts. If you don't have 12 volts then I would start checking the safety switches. If you measure 12 volts on any safety switch it is open. (the safety switches are all wired in series to ground).

Also as Bird said make sure you have nice clean and tight battery terminal connections, solenoid conections and GROUND connections.
Al

/ B2400 won't start #4  

on my B2400, the safety switch connected to the clutch moves out of position and then it will not start. Pressing the clutch again sometimes it will start. Move the switch in proper location, tractor starts just fine. may want to check the switch.

Dan L

/ B2400 won't start #5  

Just as an adition to all the really good advice you have gotten maybe jiggle/move all the electrical wires and also gently tap on the starter with a piece of wood or rubber mallet.
Egon

/ B2400 won't start #6  

You probably already checked this, but is the PTO disengaged? Now and then just climbing on and off during routine maintenance I've managed to move the lever on my L3010 just enough to prevent starting.

Just a thought.

Pete

/ B2400 won't start

I appreciate all the help you folks have provided.

Thanks,
Rick

/ B2400 won't start

Success!! I took a little plumber's cloth to the frame under the ground cable connection, turned the key and she fired right off (this was, of course, after some starter D&A and work with the multimeter - needless to say, I've learned a lesson this morning).

Now I can get back to the honey-do list. Thanks again for the help!

Rick

/ B2400 won't start #9  

That's great, Rick; glad to hear you didn't have to buy that starter./w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ B2400 won't start #10  

Bird,
I think you "sniffed" that one out pretty good. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif Good job.
Al