Comedy of errors!

/ Comedy of errors! #1  

Soundguy

Old Timer
Tractor
RK 55HC,ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC
Well, today i got off work early so I could sand and prime / paint my loader buctet. I also wanted to paint my seat, and the new hyd valve, as it was getting surface rust all over that shiny brand new cast iron.

Got the loader up and cribbed, and wire wheeled and then sanded. Primed her. While waiting for primer to dry, i removed seat and spring and painted, and hit the valve with some degreaser, and washer her off and let dry... primed her and painted her.

Now, I needed to move the laoder bucket in prep for painting.

Went to start the 850.. RRRRR RR R rr.. spark.. smoke..

I looked down and the starter cable from solenoid to battery was beginning to smoke.

Took me a second to figure out that the starter relay had come apart and let the positive cable ground out. After she cooled a bit, I started taking the electrics apart only to find out that it is a small engine / go-kart type relay!!! ( Nice wireing previous owner!! ). Well.. i dug around in my box of goodies and could not locate a naa relay or an 8n relay. Had a few other types.. but they were not the 3 terminal grounding type I needed.

Well shucks.. By then i had used up my painting time as I knew the wife was on the way home.. so i had to quit and clean up and take her out to eat. She stayed with some friends, and i ran off to just make it in time to a tractor supply, grabbed a ford relay, and whet the heck.. that positive cable is smoked.. so lets get a new nice thick 2ga one. Well... if I do that.. then i might as well get a new 2 ga ground right?

Got home, pulle dthe battery, and stuck it on charge.

New relay was a tad hard to mount with the laoder frame inthe way, but I got her hooked up. Hmm.. charge wire from alternator is kinda thin.. and frayed in a spot or two.... make new charge wire.. gotta go get tool box with terminal ends. I leave this connection off the alt untill I hook up battery again.. in case I accidentally brush the cables the wrong way.. don't want to smoke a perfectly good.. um 1 wire gm alt ( that seems to kick in at a very reasonably low rpm... like 750... I'm impressed... though if she ever dies.. I'm getting a 3 wire replacement. )

Hmm.. wire from interlocked starter button is now 2" too short for new relay.. ARGH.. make new wire for that.

This whole time I'm working with a 9w 12v neon lamp hooked across the charging battery, while my 6a charger tops it off. ( iwas a tad too laze to go to the garage and get the 2/10/50 .. besides.. I think the battery wasn't drained that fast anyway.

Ok, put battery back in, clean posts.. install new cable.. boy.. tight fit with new thick cables. Install new ground cable.. HMM.. might as well clean up that connection to the block... luckilly sand paper was at hands reach from the days earlier work.

Ok.. moment of truth..hit starter button.. RRRRRRRRRR nothing. Ok.. turn key on.. Hmm.. what's that spark I saw.. OOPS.. wire to alternator is dangling around and arcing.. Install charge line to alternator... Remember to turn gas on now too!

RRRR vroom!

Just for the heck of it, head to barn to grab VOM to make sure alt isn't cooked after all this. Nope.. 14.7v just fine.

I also fixed a loose connection at the dash panel volt meter the prev owner installed.. now reads good and steady.. not intermittant.

Time: finished at 9:30pm.. gotta hurry.. wife will be home soon!

Soundguy

/ Comedy of errors! #2  
Well, I'm glad you had the last word. Let's just call it a bad day at the office. :D
It would have been even more funny if you came back from TSC and did all the repair work on a wrong tractor since you have many of them.:eek:

/ Comedy of errors! #4  
Wow, painting ---> outside ----> weren't you cold? It was warm here, up to about 14 or 15F.

Don't you just LOVE previous owners that cobble stuff together with no comprehension of what they are doing ?

jb

/ Comedy of errors! #5  
I think that cupid guy was trying to jinx you for not spending all that time with your wife instead of your tractor.:confused:

/ Comedy of errors!
I could have went to the store today, but after dinner last night, she wanted to stay with friends and gab for a few hours. She does that often, so i usually go home.. so i figured it was a good use of a couple hours.. besides.. byt the time she got home I was all cleaned up and she didn't even know I had been back outside ( SHHHHHH )

Soundguy

/ Comedy of errors! #7  
Hey Chris, I don't know what you are talking about??? If any of my projects went that smooth I would be patting myself on the back.:D :D :D

Chris